Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network disconnected - you are now offline

Beans

Network disconnected - you are now offline

I have just installed Ubuntu and have no idea how to connect to the internet. I have no idea about linux. All I know is that ever since I've first logged in, I have gotten this message "Network disconnected - you are now offline". Networking is enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Network disconnected - you are now offline

what kind of internet connection you have...?

Beans

I've got an 8Mbps wifi connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In System Settings (icon on the dock with a gear and a wrench, or just search for "System Settings") click the "Additional Drivers" icon in the Hardware section. See if a wireless adapter driver shows up in the list of available drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, OmarR,

Gordthomson Posted.
    . , , ,just search for "System Settings") click the "Additional Drivers" icon in the Hardware section.
    If you are running Ubuntu 12.10, then 'Additional Drivers', is in on the right hand Tab of System Settings>System>Software Sources. You can also get there by Right-Clicking on the Desktop Screen, select: 'Change Desktop Background' and the: 'All Settings' Tab.

You Posted: " Networking is enabled." there should be a 'tick' against: 'Enable Networking', and under it, in the drop-down menu, another 'tick' against: 'Enable Wireless'.

The Network manager Icon varies by the version and flavour of Linux you are running - if you do not know:
    Code:
    uname -r 
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    In a terminal, ['Ctrl+Alt+t'] will tell you', - Most likely is a Fan or Shell shaped symbol representing a radio wave.

If Network Manager is scanning for a network a series of chords will move up the icon, Does that happen?

If connection is found the Fan will be full of chords and a Left-Click on the icon will list the networks found, you may need to select the one you want to connect to., and edit the connection. Post if you need more detailed instructions.

If the icon is different it may show one or two blobs rotating, or show two miniature screen symbols.

Please Post results of the above & we can take it from there.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Hey thanks a lot guys but it shows "this device is not working." above "using Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source(proprietary)" I think I saw a similar thread and ran a command in the terminal so it may have something to do with that.
    If I don't have the drivers, how can I get them? Don't I have to go online to get the drivers - I think I can use a USB to transfer them

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, OmarR,

Gordthomson Posted.If you are running Ubuntu 12.10, then 'Additional Drivers', is in on the right hand Tab of System Settings>System>Software Sources. You can also get there by Right-Clicking on the Desktop Screen, select: 'Change Desktop Background' and the: 'All Settings' Tab.

You Posted: " Networking is enabled." there should be a 'tick' against: 'Enable Networking', and under it, in the drop-down menu, another 'tick' against: 'Enable Wireless'.

The Network manager Icon varies by the version and flavour of Linux you are running - if you do not know:
    Code:
    uname -r 
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    In a terminal, ['Ctrl+Alt+t'] will tell you', - Most likely is a Fan or Shell shaped symbol representing a radio wave.

If Network Manager is scanning for a network a series of chords will move up the icon, Does that happen?

If connection is found the Fan will be full of chords and a Left-Click on the icon will list the networks found, you may need to select the one you want to connect to., and edit the connection. Post if you need more detailed instructions.

If the icon is different it may show one or two blobs rotating, or show two miniature screen symbols.

Please Post results of the above & we can take it from there.

Chao!, bogan.
    Networking is enabled and yes there is a tick, but above that, it says Wired Network disconnected" (above VPN)

Beans

No Bogan, the chords do not move up and down the shell symbol. That does happen when I connect the ethernet cable.. It still doesn't connect though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Run the following command in a Terminal window and tell us what it says:

Code:
    nm-tool

Beans

State: disconnected
    - Device: eth0 -----------------------------------------------------------
    Type: Wired