Thread: I've had it with my wpc54g ver 3.0

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've had it with my wpc54g ver 3.0

Ah my wpc54g v3. Connects fine at home to my mi424wr wired/wireless router. I get good signal strenth everywhere in my house. My problem is I don't use my laptop at home. I use it when I go out. I can't get a consistent connection anywhere but home. I have considered modifying it to add an antenna. Google searches have not turned up anything (maybe someone on the forums might have a suggestion ). I am considering another option, that is of course buying a new one. I tried doing more searching on Google but my searches return too many hits that go nowhere. So I turn to the Forums for some assistance. What pcmcia wireless cards work well with lubuntu.

My laptop is a old Gateway Solo 5300 512mb of ram PIII 500mhz processor one weak *** usb port and a 120GB drive.

Tia,
    Skaramanger
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Kubuntu 12.10 (do-release-upgrade)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I've had it with my wpc54g ver 3.0

Hi,

I solved my problem. I did look through lots of posts on this matter and decided to buy a USB adapter. A Gsky 500mW USB dongle even came with and extra 1' long antenna. Even though my signal strength ocillates between -7dbs and -68dbs, (short antenna in same room as wap) my response time has never been better. It would've worked out of the box except that I had forgot that I'd setup mac access rules on my WAP. As soon as I whitelisted the dongle, I got connected! Very Kewl.

My .02 cents worth.

Skaramanger
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Kubuntu 12.10 (do-release-upgrade)