Thread: A remote user question

Hybrid View

Beans

A remote user question

So, I have a very small hard drive on this laptop and have been curious if I could set some sort of system up like that have at most schools/institutions, where all of a users files and settings are stored on a centralized server and you can use any computer attached to the network to access those files and what not.

Here arises my question; What exactly is this called and does anyone have a good guide or advice on doing this using ubuntu?

Thanks a ton,
    Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A remote user question

What you describe is called Distributed Computing, but it's really only a viable option when it's a local server, unless you have an extremely fast and ultra-reliable Internet connection.

I'd recommend simply getting a bigger HDD.

Beans

Ah, I do have a local server, I'm running a NAT'd device in my room off another server I built!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EclipseOTO View Post
    Ah, I do have a local server, I'm running a NAT'd device in my room off another server I built!
    And you're not planning on taking the laptop anywhere else?

If so, you could technically setup an SSHFS connection between your laptop and the server, and make it mount it as your /home at startup.

Do you have any experience with SSH?
    Last edited by NCLI; August 15th, 2010 at 01:27 AM.

Beans

It's a laptop only in name unfortunately... it has ~5 minutes of battery. I have a little experience with SSH but am not sure what SSHFS is. I guess the other problem would be that the laptop connects to the network wirelessly, so mounting the partition on startup becomes more challenging, since it connects to the network via network manager after I've signed in on the computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EclipseOTO View Post
    It's a laptop only in name unfortunately... it has ~5 minutes of battery. I have a little experience with SSH but am not sure what SSHFS is. I guess the other problem would be that the laptop connects to the network wirelessly, so mounting the partition on startup becomes more challenging, since it connects to the network via network manager after I've signed in on the computer.
    Could you be satisfied with simply mounting a partition for data instead of replacing your /home?

SSHFS is a method of securely accessing a remote filesystem(FS) via SSH. Do you already have SSH set up on the server? If you do, this won't take long.
    Last edited by NCLI; August 15th, 2010 at 01:46 AM.