Thread: Nautilus could not create the following required folders

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nautilus could not create the following required folders

There are no username(s) in /home/ just 2 pictures. that is not good!

Edit: Do this ->
    Code:
    cd ~ ; cd .. ; ls -l
    I just can't believe your 'home' folder is gone. It must be somewhere!
    Last edited by AlphaLexman; August 16th, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8200 - Fedora 13 - Goddard
    Desktop: Self-Built - [Ku, Lu, Xu, U]buntu - Lucid 10.04.3 (LTS)
    Linux User: 498249 / Ubuntu User: 29241

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaLexman View Post
    Code:
    cd ~ ; cd .. ; ls -l
    I just can't believe your 'home' folder is gone. It must be somewhere!
    It is somewhere - hidden. '-l' needs to be '-al' to show up hidden files, please checkout his response to my 2nd question earlier - I quote him below:

Quote Originally Posted by cake nom nom View Post
    1.i can access the terminal by hitting ctrl+alt+f1
    Good but:

Quote Originally Posted by cake nom nom View Post
    2. i did choose "Require password to login and decrypt home folder"
    Makes it all very very bad - The system is going to be tricky to recover, did you notate the encryption hash the first time you logged in after installing? When you take the above option the OS has a message for you to notate it somewhere secure, I hope you did because (to best of my understanding) you have broken the chain that did it automatically for you on login with your password!

When you use the tty terminal (that is what you access by pressing [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1]) and it has you login using your regular username and your regular password you should be already in your home directory.

Please just login and type;
    Code:
    ls -al
    into the terminal immediately after logging in and post it back here. Then go on to AlphaLexman's last instructions which (except my addition of 'a' flag) were;
    Code:
    cd ~
    cd ..
    ls -al
    and please show us the output of that as well.
    Last edited by robsoles; August 16th, 2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Improving my form a little.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks robsoles I missed that.

Edit: and doesn't an encrypted folder have a .private (or similar) folder somewhere, where the actual data is stored?
    Last edited by AlphaLexman; August 16th, 2010 at 04:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ls -al
    http://i37.tinypic.com/15oysuh.jpg
    http://i33.tinypic.com/30decnn.jpg
    http://i37.tinypic.com/2qnb0r6.jpg

cd ~
    cd ..
    ls -al
    http://i37.tinypic.com/f1frfd.jpg
    http://i38.tinypic.com/kak5me.jpg
    http://i37.tinypic.com/296f4vo.jpg

and as for my paraphrase i took a screenshot of it, could there be a command i could put in to access it? it showed up on one of the screenshots from above

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I was in bed 7 hours ago.

Now that I realise you are taking photos of your display after issuing the commands and uploading them to tinypic I finally go and look at the pictures I see you have lots of relevant files to a user! (Your posts make it look like you have bizarre files on your HDD but they should be something like http\:\/\/i37.tinypic.... etc etc if that the case!)

I don't spot the signs of an encrypted home folder, it looks more like everything is out in the open so it is probable that the act of logging in via tty terminal is decrypting your home folder as it ought. (phew!)

Restoring gnome to ask for your password and get on with the job of decrypting your home folder is probably a very simple command that I don't know immediately and I have some pressing work to do here (I just got into work) but I will check in on this thread later today.

EDIT: I saw the file 'passphrase.png' - I don't mean to be mean but if it's where I think it is then it is useless there due it would be inaccessible if your home folder wasn't being decrypted and mounted when you log in.

EDITED AGAIN: A result from following search should have instructions to follow that will help but you need to try to make sure they are talking about an encrypted home folder and that their post clearly indicates their success - I've seen people post about how they ruined it

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=re...reen+in+ubuntu
    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=re...ed+home+folder (perhaps)
    Last edited by robsoles; August 16th, 2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: See 'EDIT:' above
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thank you rob, your a hero! i'll keep you posted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have to admit I was misled also by the tinypic url's in your post. But looking at the 'screenshots' and trying to 'panorama' them together, I can gather this...

f1frfd.jpg -> kak5me -> 296f4vo, are three overlapping images (left to right) of the [/home/] directory (parent of ~/).

It must look something like this:
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x  4 root         root          4096 2010-07-19 00:47 .
    drwxr-xr-x 22 root         root          4096 2010-07-30 00:09 ..
    drwx------ 54 drnomnomcake drnomnomcake 16384 2010-08-14 04:25 drnomnomcake
    drwxr-xr-x  3 root         root          4096 2010-07-19 00:47 .ecryptfs
    AND it appears that in your [~/] directory the pics: 15oysuh.jpg -> 30decnn.jpg -> 2qnbor6.jpg, are overlapping images (top/middle to bottom)

It appears [/home/drnomnomcake/.Private] points to [/home/.ecryptfs] (but we can't see past the characters '/home/.e')

I realize you are doing the best you can to give us information, but what I really want to see are the permissions (-rw-r--r--) of the 'ls -al' output, especially the [~/.Private] directory.

The permissions to your 'home' folder look weak however. I may be wrong here, but I would at least give [/home/drnomnomcake/] 755 permissions until you sort this mess out.
    Code:
    chmod 755 /home/drnomnomcake/
    Although your encryption links look OK to me.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry AlphaLexman but I have to disagree. His home folder's permissions are '700' right now and that is currently believed best for a home folder. 755 gives more permissions away and it really shouldn't be necessary to allow other processes/users to have access to it at all.

The problem is that the GDM process for decrypting and mounting his encrypted home folder has become disconnected, I am sure there is a simple set of commands or instructions to fix it but I am at work and lunch is another hour away - the instructions should be in a result of either or both of the searches I linked in my last post, I can try harder to find them at lunchtime.

When the encrypted home folder is not mounted you usually see two files out in the open (in it), of which at least one refers to mounting the encrypted file-space using the GUI, and a .private hidden folder as you suggested before.

in a 'normal' install (not encrypted), when you set the option to autologin a 'custom.conf' is created in /etc/gdm. Editing that file or moving to a .bak would restore the login
    Have no experience with encrypted, as in, is anything different there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast