Thread: unable to detect hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

unable to detect hard drive

okay, sorry about any typos beforehand and my lack of caps, my finger is... hurt so im typing weird.

alright, my last hard drive had bad sectors so we got a new hard drive from newegg. this is a brand. new. hard drive. never been formatted before. so i started with the windows setup disc to get it to partition the drive and give kubuntu (working off 10.04 its ordered from canonical) something to work off. it still didn't work. so i got gparted on here to see if it could - im running off the live cd - do anything with it and i find that kubuntu doesn't even recognize there is a hard drive there. i got into the terminal to check the sudo lshw -C disk thing and it swears 'C' is my cd drive.

My bios is also as high as it can go, they stopped making my board. so. any ideas? i cannot install windows as i have lost the key so getting this installed and fixed has to be done through ubuntu on a live cd. much appreciated, thanks beforehand.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: unable to detect hard drive

could you see it with the command : fdisk -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: unable to detect hard drive

No, it swore it was my CD drive but dad went into the bios and disabled AC... PI? Something like that. Thank you though, sorry for the late response. =3