Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: ion2 hdmi audio alsa/snd_hda_intel doesn't think my tv is connected

Beans

Re: ion2 hdmi audio alsa/snd_hda_intel doesn't think my tv is connected

Quote Originally Posted by tjones00 View Post
    [SIZE=3]

Update: setting the alsa snd-hda-intel probemask for your device.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...20&postcount=7

You might be able to ignore the pcm alias section below by assigning a probemask to the device responsible for hdmi audio.

eg. If 1,9 is my device to set a probemask for alsa hw:1,9 I'd do the following.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
    add

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=0x108

save the file and reboot.

This should tell alsa (snd-hda-intel module) that the hdmi output on my ion2 is 1,9 (NVidia,9) instead of 1,3(NVidia,3 default). I haven't tried this myself. I believe these masks should use the NVidia id (symlink) since it would make the most sense vs a discrete 0,1,2,3 definition.

hw:NVidia,3 = 0x101
    hw:NVidia,7 = 0x102
    hw:NVidia,8 = 0x104
    hw:NVidia,9 = 0x108

To test the new probemask try aplay -D hdmi:NVidia /path/to/wav.file

If that doesn't work for alsa undo the modification and continue onto Configuring Alsa, if it does work go down to Configuring Pulseaudio at the end of this post.
    this did the thing that i have been trying for nearly one month... thank you very very much.
    but now i don t have sound on my desktop.
    i know that i can delete it from sound.conf file, reboot, and have sound from desktop. but not from tv. isn t there a simplier way to have both? i mean without rebooting.

i tried to configure pulse but it didn t work.

but again, thank you very much because i was so tired looking for a solution

Beans

Oh cool I've been waiting for someone to try this out and confirm if it works since I only use plughw with xbmc stand alone.

So lets clear this up. From your other post your hdmi device is hw:1,7

You used the following probe_mask in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=0x102

Now you have audio over your hdmi connection without making any other modifications? eg. asound.conf default.pa

Now onto your issue.

With your system you have 2 hdmi displays? What do you mean you get sound on the tv vs sound on the desktop? Can you elaborate more please I don't think I fully understand. Give me a complete physical description of the setup and issue.

Edit:
    I think I know what you mean now. The talk about TV vs desktop confused me. Try:

Code:
    load-module module-alsa-sink device=hdmi:NVidia
    in the default.pa file
    Last edited by tjones00; January 16th, 2011 at 04:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey guys I have ion2 little set top box and have the audio and video all working great over HDMI but when I play a mkv the audio doesn't play and I see this in my logs. BTW I am using XBMC on ubuntu 10.10 server. Should I just rip out pulseaudio? I don't care as long as audio works for videos and music.

22:31:15 T:1446124400 M:1768480768 NOTICE: Creating audio device with codec id: 86017, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through
    22:31:15 T:1456614256 M:1768669184 NOTICE: fps: 23.976025, pwidth: 624, pheight: 352, dwidth: 624, dheight: 352
    22:31:15 T:1456614256 M:1769484288 WARNING: CRenderManager::Configure - timeout waiting for previous frame
    22:31:15 T:1456614256 M:1769484288 NOTICE: Display resolution DESKTOP : 1920x1080 @ 60.00 - Full Screen (12)
    22:31:15 T:1446124400 M:1769357312 ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the Context but it failed
    22:31:15 T:1446124400 M:1769357312 ERROR: PulseAudio: Failed to create context
    "Don't Panic"

Beans

If you are only using the computer for xbmc just purge pulse there is no need for it especially when only using one application.

As to your specific issue. .mkv files will typically have 5.1 audio or 7.1 audio. What log is that? regardless

22:31:15 T:1446124400 M:1768480768 NOTICE: Creating audio device with codec id: 86017, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through

Suggests to me that the 5.1 or 7.1 audio isn't being downmixed to stereo(2 channels). Usually the recieving hardware(tv/amp) should prefer a raw output and handle all the downmixing itself.

Assigning a passthrough/downmix device with plughw in xmbc/pulseaudio should correct this(eg. downmix 5+ channels to 2). Remove any asound.conf or .asoundrc files and try tapping into plughw for downmixing.

To quote:http://www.suse.de/~mana/alsa090_howto.html

The most important ALSA interfaces to the PCM devices are the "plughw" and the "hw" interface. If you use the "plughw" interface, you need not care much about the sound hardware. If your soundcard does not support the sample rate or sample format you specify, your data will be automatically converted. This also applies to the access type and the number of channels. With the "hw" interface, you have to check whether your hardware supports the configuration you would like to use.

plughw downmix for pulseaudio:
    If you continue to use pulseaudio purge the alsa and pulse local settings and use plughw for the hdmi sink in default.pa instead of hw or whatever you're using. This should automatically downmix any 5.1/7.1 audio when selecting the device in pulseaudio. Refer to post 1 and 3 in this thread for clarification on this issue. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1668737

eg. load-module module-alsa-sink device=plughw:1,9

xbmc alsa plughw passthrough
    If you purge pulseaudio from the system just call upon alsa plughw:#,# for passthrough and audio device in xbmc and of course remove any asound.conf or .asoundrc

eg. plughw:1,9
    Last edited by tjones00; February 8th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tjones00 View Post
    If you are only using the computer for xbmc just purge pulse there is no need for it especially when only using one application.

As to your specific issue. .mkv files will typically have 5.1 audio or 7.1 audio. What log is that? regardless

Suggests to me that the 5.1 or 7.1 audio isn't being downmixed to stereo(2 channels). Usually the recieving hardware(tv/amp) should prefer a raw output and handle all the downmixing itself.

Assigning a passthrough/downmix device with plughw in xmbc/pulseaudio should correct this(eg. downmix 5+ channels to 2). Remove any asound.conf or .asoundrc files and try tapping into plughw for downmixing.

To quote:http://www.suse.de/~mana/alsa090_howto.html

plughw downmix for pulseaudio:
    If you continue to use pulseaudio purge the alsa and pulse local settings and use plughw for the hdmi sink in default.pa instead of hw or whatever you're using. This should automatically downmix any 5.1/7.1 audio when selecting the device in pulseaudio. Refer to post 1 and 3 in this thread for clarification on this issue. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1668737

eg. load-module module-alsa-sink device=plughw:1,9

xbmc alsa plughw passthrough
    If you purge pulseaudio from the system just call upon alsa plughw:#,# for passthrough and audio device in xbmc and of course remove any asound.conf or .asoundrc

eg. plughw:1,9
    Actually I went to remove pulseaudio but it was not even installed!!

So I installed pulseaudio and then set the output devices to the nvidiaHDMI instead of of the manual hardware configuration. Now it all works great!
    "Don't Panic"

Beans

THANK YOU!

Somehow after stumbling through this post I managed to get it working! many thanks.

Beans

I've followed this guide.. the experience has been kinda frustrating.. I'm up to the point where I tried playing sound via aplay -Dplughw:1,7 and I got sound there, then I tried to do both the proposed
    options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=0x102
    did not work, also I did the ALSA configure without result.

So i backed out if the last few steps to where i got sound from the plughw, suddenly things worked.. wtf? but with the ****** audio from pulse as you described.i installed mplayer to try playing via pulse and via alsa. This made all audio work clearly! great.

2 hours later audio has stopped working... kinda. now i Only have clear audio from flash player (youtube videos) rest of the system is the ****** scratchy pulse audio and also I can't get audio in XBMC.. I'm ******* lost.

going to try to remove pulse audio but I need audio from flash player as well.

oh btw.. even though flash audio is working great.. now when i aplay -Dplughw:1,7 all i get is ******* noise

Update: I added a custom plughw:1,7 to XBMC audio and now at least that is working

Current status:

XBMC: Audio via custom plughw:1,7
    Desktop: No audio from ubuntu
    Mp3s played: via -ao alsa in mplayer work
    Flash: Audio works great...

This is a nightmare but I'vbe reached a semi acceptable point
    Last edited by davst825; September 20th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456