Thread: Wifi connectivity problems since lucid lynx (?)

Beans

Angry Wifi connectivity problems since lucid lynx (?)

Hello,

IMHO since lucid lnyx, my access to the net is sporadic at best. this mainly varies daywise, as sometimes everything works perfectly alright, and other times i do get a connection to my access point, but can't ping my router or any website. the network-manager shows a full connection to my own wireless network all the times though. however, i am able to get internet access via a Wifi spot apparently owned by a neighbour, who might very well be monitoring all the traffic, who knows. this problem only occurs with Sony VAIO laptops, all other devices, like Macbooks or smartphones work fine every day.

Somebody know what might be the problem?

Thank you

Beans

Re: Wifi connectivity problems since lucid lynx (?)

Not entirely sure of the symptoms so just a few questions:

Are you losing connection to your own wireless base station? OR

Are you having trouble getting access to websites e.g. slow.

At times when you've lost your connection, try viewing your base stations home page (where you set all the settings). For example my base station is 192.168.0.1 so I just type that into a browser. If you can reliable get this page then it possible it be your internet provider.

It's possible that you're getting intereference problems on your wi-fi channel so changing the broadcast channel might help. You'd need to consult your base station's manual for info on how to do this

Beans

Hi there,

the connection to my own base station is always very good - full four bars in the network-manager applet.

every other day, i have problems to access any internet contend at all, like icq, email, or any webpage. also, i can't ping my router. but the connection bars are always there - so i figure the router just won't let me out!

the strange thing is, it does not happen every day - right now, every thing is fine! - and i get this problem only on Sony VAIO laptops, not on other brand's laptops or smartphones or the Wii etc.

Beans

It might be just worth trying to change the channel of your wifi. It might just be that there is a hardware issue that affects only Vaios. The randomness of the problem might be explained by interference, especially if there is someone else's network in the vicinity (and who doesn't always have it switched on) who uses the same channel as you.

I assume your VAIO came with windows installed; did it have the same problem?

Beans

WIN: excellent question, would have checked that, but I half-accidently erased Win7 without ever using it. and i couldn't be bothered to burn those system-dvds. maybe i should get myself some sort of USB or CD only linux to check?