Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move a file to a nautilus window with folders in list view

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Move a file to a nautilus window with folders in list view

Hi,

I don't know if this is a known issue, but when I want to copy/move a file to a folder containing lots of sub-folder displayed as list, I can't do a simple drag&drop, because there is no empty space to move this file. It will always go into one of the sub-folders...
    So obviously I have to go up one folder or to change view from list to Icon or Compact...
    Is it a known issue? Is there a solution?
    (Using GNOME nautilus 2.30.1)

| Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit | Core i7 860@2.8GHz | RAM 8Gb | Asus ENGT240 1Gb | Asus P7P55D |

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Move a file to a nautilus window with folders in list view

Use Edit-Copy and Edit-Paste from the menus, or temporarily change view to Icon or Compact.

It's not a problem I have ever even thought about, but that seems to be the way round it.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

yes it is a known problem. it frustrated me me too. it is the only directory browser i ever met that does not have some kind of empty space to drop into the actuall directory.

and no, using "edit-copy" etc. is by far not a solution. it is a very very slow workaround.

the only reason i don't feel too anoyed is that i mostly use the terminal anyway.

edit: a simple solution for the devs would be to use the first column (the one with the folder name) only as dropplace that goes into the sobfolder. anywhere else (other columns) go into the actual folder.
    Last edited by a-user; November 23rd, 2010 at 11:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for confirming! Hopefully we'll get a fix in the near future!
    | Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit | Core i7 860@2.8GHz | RAM 8Gb | Asus ENGT240 1Gb | Asus P7P55D |

Beans

well, when i said "known" problem i ment you are not the only one that has observed this.

but i doubt it is a problem that the devs are aware of. so if you want to have a fix for this you have to write this to the devs. probably the suggestion forum would be a good idea. or look for the nautilus homepage.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, I actually misunderstood

Beans

I have seen a bug report on it. Better just learn to live with it, though. Sometimes it takes years to get around to problems like that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you have a middle mouse button, try dragging your file with it to the folder you want to drag it to. When you release you should get a choice to Move, Copy or Link.
    All you can do is run to the end of your leash and BARK

}:-0 Mooo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CowzRule View Post
    If you have a middle mouse button, try dragging your file with it to the folder you want to drag it to. When you release you should get a choice to Move, Copy or Link.
    Sorry but doesn't work on a window full of folders with no empty space to move to parent.

I have posted this however => http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26531/

Let's see where it goes...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CowzRule View Post
    what exactly has this to do with the issue of this thread?
    it is not about the choice of what to do (copy/move) it is about WHERE to copy it. currently it is not possible to chose the ACTUAL folder for this, cause any drop point hits a subfolder. there is no space left as a drop point for the actually seen folder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast