Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's openGL version?

Beans

Exclamation What's openGL version?

Hey

I am trying to install a software (Evaluation version of Foundry Mari "www.thefoundry.co.uk") on my Linux (Ubuntu) and it once I run the app it tells me:

Mari currently requires OpenGL version 2.0. OpenGL is reporting version 1.4

I am not any good in this kind of the thing, what does it mean, and most importantly what's the solution, if there's any!

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: What's openGL version?

Quote Originally Posted by liva View Post
    Hey

I am trying to install a software (Evaluation version of Foundry Mari "www.thefoundry.co.uk") on my Linux (Ubuntu) and it once I run the app it tells me:

Mari currently requires OpenGL version 2.0. OpenGL is reporting version 1.4

I am not any good in this kind of the thing, what does it mean, and most importantly what's the solution, if there's any!

Thanks
    OpenGL is ubuntu's version of directx i think it means you need a update on your opengl
    im not sure if its updated with regular updates
    Last edited by cybuss; August 11th, 2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: http://www.opengl.org/ and heres the link for you to see for yourself what you neede

Beans

I'm guessing you have an intel video card?
    My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

Try elementary OS - https://elementary.io

Beans

OpenGL has to do with graphics. Programmers use it to make games, screensavers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    OpenGL is a programming interface for 3D graphics which helps computer programmers make their 3D graphics perform better and faster by running parts of their programs on a video card (GPU) rather than just the central processor (CPU). Programming interfaces like OpenGL are usually called an "API," which stands for "Application Programming Interface".

OpenGL is often compared to Direct3D, an API for 3D graphics on Windows. Programming for Direct3D is different in some ways because the APIs use different naming schemes for talking to a computer's graphics driver, which means that programmers need to write different code for OpenGL and Direct3D to do the same things.
    OpenGL is owned by the Khronos Group, and is an example of open source software. This means that all of OpenGL's programming, and the explanations for how the programming all works, can be viewed, copied, revised, and re-released by anyone.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    I'm guessing you have an intel video card?

no, not actually, I happen to run a GEForce 7300!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Macskeeball View Post
    OpenGL has to do with graphics. Programmers use it to make games, screensavers, etc.

Yeah, I kind of understand that, I am just wondering how should I upgrade mine. Is it something that is entirely dependent on the hardware or is it possible to upgrade it?

Thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe that card *should* support OpenGL 2.0. There are two recommendations I would have:

1) Install the proprietary nVidia drivers using System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

2) See if that works, and if it doesn't, type in a terminal "glxinfo | grep direct" to see if you have direct rendering. If it says something like "No. LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set," see if you can get "glxinfo | grep direct" to work right by first typing "unset LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT." In most situations only applications launched by compiz (through keyboard shortcuts etc) will have this variable set, but I have seen it in other places.

To check your OpenGL version, type "glxinfo | grep -i opengl"
    That should tell you both the OpenGL version you are using and what your card can support.
    Intel core i5-2400, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cybuss View Post
    OpenGL is ubuntu's version of directx
    Eh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

pranay@pranay-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep direct
    direct rendering: Yes
    pranay@pranay-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep -i opengl
    OpenGL vendor string: VIA Technology
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI UniChrome 20060710 x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 7.7.1
    OpenGL extensions:

btw how do update mine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OpenGL vendor string: VIA Technology
    Get a new graphics card, or if you have a laptop, a new computer. If you want good OpenGL, you need an nVidia (#1), ATI (#2), or Intel HD/Intel X4500+ (#3) - Intel X3100 or Intel GMA 965/960/950/945/etc is in any real sense too old for anything but basic desktop use - they only support up to OpenGL 1.4 (compiz capable though).
    Intel core i5-2400, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast