Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Portege R700 / R705 Linux Hardware Compatibility Thread

Beans

Re: Toshiba Portege R700 / R705 Linux Hardware Compatibility Thread

The hard drive accelerometer/impact sensor/protection system is not supported by hdapsd.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Toshiba Portege R700 / R705 Linux Hardware Compatibility Thread

Low battery runtimes are at least partially related to the fact that the current kernel doesn't seem to support the i3 i5 i7 super low frequency mode (SuperLFM).

Made a thread about it here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1565599

i might try to upgrade the kernel once i figure how to do that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cheers for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by samio chang View Post
    Thanks for the post! It has been very useful for some one as new to ubuntu as me I am using 10.04 on R700 S1330. Regarding the inbuilt microphone, it works for me! I got the mic sound after switched off the microphone mute.
    No probs, glad it helps... must have missed the mute for some reason, inbuilt mic works great now!

Quote Originally Posted by ouilsen View Post
    Hi all!

What about the built-in UMTS Modem? Is anyone online using Ubuntu and 3G?
    Dont quote me, but I did some initial investigations before choosing the non 3g option and it appears the model Toshiba use's is supported in the ubuntu kernel. Give us an lsusb dump with the module installed and we can investigate it for ya.

Fataki: Anything noticeable in the v1.4 release? Thanks for the updates.. Ill change my master list

Quote Originally Posted by JacquiOh View Post
    The script for the headphones/mic but I'm a bit worried. Not great with command line yet.
    Yeah its less than ideal, and sometimes after resuming from a suspend to ram indicator-sound-service goes nuts and needs a kill -9 to stop it running 100%. Maverick fixes the sound issues.. perhaps wait for the beta and just roll with that.

Oh, just saw you got it going... congrats

Omrep: Thanks for your efforts, trying it now. Brightness is my biggest issue with Ubuntu on this thing
    Last edited by connect404; September 2nd, 2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: broken quotes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UPDATE: V1.5 BIOS released on the 31/08

Cant seem to get bartpe to boot xp on this thing, so looks like I need to get XP setup on a spare drive to get this firmware updated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by connect404 View Post
    UPDATE: V1.5 BIOS released on the 31/08

Cant seem to get bartpe to boot xp on this thing, so looks like I need to get XP setup on a spare drive to get this firmware updated.
    You could also burn the Bios to CD (and boot with it in the drive ofc ) that should work as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Great thread everyone. I'm on my third Portégé: about to install Xubuntu & LXDE on a R205-S209 that's still running WinXP Pro, but the R700/705 will probably be my fourth.

Some of the Fn enabled Hotkey functions have been a troublespot since I first tried Knoppix 3.7 in 2004/5. I'm guessing the dedicated buttons for Toshiba Assist and Toshiba Presentation on the R205 won't work either.

Please carry on!
    Intrepid User of Xubuntu & LXDE on:
    (1) Dell Latitude, CPi R400GT, PII 400 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 66MHz.
    (2) Toshiba Portégé 3490CT, PIII 700 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 100MHz.
    Both using NETGEAR MA521 Wireless PCMCIA (no issues!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fataki View Post
    Scenario: Laptop is connected to external display and laptop display is off. External display is disconnected from laptop, but laptop screen doesn't turn on. Need to switch display back to just laptop before disconnecting external display. Pressing display switch-button should help?

\should just need to write a small script that tells gnome to cycle thru the displays and then assign it to a hotkey. Actually, similar to the brightness fix should be possible to do it like that.

Either that or dont have only an external display on.

Oh... first post updated to reflect progress.

Beans

Regarding the headphones/mic jacks issue:

For me (on an R705), installing the backports alsa package (depending on which kernel you're running, it could be named linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic, or something similar to that; for me it was linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic-tuxonice, because I'm running a tuxonice kernel) fixed it. Needs reboot to take effect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by omerp View Post
    Regarding the headphones/mic jacks issue:

For me (on an R705), installing the backports alsa package (depending on which kernel you're running, it could be named linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic, or something similar to that; for me it was linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic-tuxonice, because I'm running a tuxonice kernel) fixed it. Needs reboot to take effect.
    Yeah as long as you get the alsa-driver-1.0.23 (the latest one) headphones et cetera should work.

You can also run the upgrade script:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...10#post6589810

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by connect404 View Post

Fingerprint reader

• Shows up in lspci, but isn't detected by pam_fprint_enroll or fprint_demo.
    Have anybody tried Fingerprint GUI? On VAIO SZ there was the same problem with the above fingerprint reading solutions under Ubuntu, however, Fingerprint GUI was working perfectly.

http://www.n-view.net/Appliance/fingerprint/

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast