Code:
    #!/bin/bash

CBRI=`toshset -inten |awk '{print $3}'|cut -f1 -d/`

if [ $CBRI = 0 ]
    then
            CBRI=1
    fi

toshset -inten `echo $CBRI | awk '{print $1-1}'` -bl on

You also need to allow read/write access to the toshiba device in dev for this to work

Code:
    sudo chmod a+rw /dev/toshiba
    Then you can assign the increase and decrease scripts to the Fn + F6/F7 keys.

thanks man! just what i needed. they work perfeclty!
    thanks again for sharing!
    ---
    edit

I manage to assign the script to ctrl+f6 rather than Fn+f6...it seems than Fn+f6 cannot be overriden ...any feedback on that?
    Last edited by chris23; November 18th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.

Beans

Re: Toshiba Portege R700 / R705 Linux Hardware Compatibility Thread

Well it depends what tool you're using to modify the key bindings - I'm using xmonad so I just edited the config file for that, but the key codes etc that you need can be gotten from running xev and then pressing the keys. Here's the info for the two keys:

Code:
    KeyPress event, serial 45, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
        root 0xae, subw 0x0, time 159378154, (680,451), root:(681,468),
        state 0x0, keycode 232 (keysym 0x1008ff03, XF86MonBrightnessDown), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
        XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
        XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
        root 0xae, subw 0x0, time 159319468, (569,290), root:(570,307),
        state 0x0, keycode 233 (keysym 0x1008ff02, XF86MonBrightnessUp), same_screen YES,
    The key bits there are the keycodes (232 and 233) the keysyms (0x1008ff03 and 0x1008ff02) and the names (XF86MonBrightnessDown and XF86MonBrightnessUp).

I'm not sure what config file you should edit for gnome or whatever you're using though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by de_Selby View Post
    Well it depends what tool you're using to modify the key bindings - I'm using xmonad so I just edited the config file for that, but the key codes etc that you need can be gotten from running xev and then pressing the keys. Here's the info for the two keys:

Code:
    KeyPress event, serial 45, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
        root 0xae, subw 0x0, time 159378154, (680,451), root:(681,468),
        state 0x0, keycode 232 (keysym 0x1008ff03, XF86MonBrightnessDown), same_screen YES,
        XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:

KeyRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
        root 0xae, subw 0x0, time 159319468, (569,290), root:(570,307),
        state 0x0, keycode 233 (keysym 0x1008ff02, XF86MonBrightnessUp), same_screen YES,
    The key bits there are the keycodes (232 and 233) the keysyms (0x1008ff03 and 0x1008ff02) and the names (XF86MonBrightnessDown and XF86MonBrightnessUp).

I'm not sure what config file you should edit for gnome or whatever you're using though.
    thanks for your feedback. One more question, after assigning the scripts to the keys, do you still get the progress bar of the brightness?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by B-Town View Post
    Freezing when coming back from sleep.

I mentioned this before but but I am still having problems with ubuntu (or in my case kubuntu) completely freezing up when I come back from sleep mode. This has only been an issue in 11.04 (not in 10.10 which is what I had previously). I'm on a portege R705 and have updated the BIOS to the most recent (as of two weeks ago).

I've narrowed down some of the factors:
    1) The compute must be unplugged (possibly it also is necessary that it went to sleep unplugged as well though I'm not sure).
    2) The wireless is on (this is always on so may be superfluous..but see below).
    3) The computer is woken from sleep.

What happens is that:
    1) The computer wakes up and shows the password screen
    then either
    2a) it freezes at the password screen
    2b) it allows me to login and then freezes
    2c) It allows me to login in and do a few things with some windows but other processes are frozen and then the whole system freezes.
    3) I have to do a hard reboot.

I noticed today that my wireless was the first process to stop responding (firefox, krunner were all okay at first). So that is why I think it might be related to the wireless.

Any one else have this issue?

Also I'm still mostly a novice at this so don't know where to look to see (log files for instance) what is causing the problem. I don't want to submit a bug report as I don't have much idea where the problem is and it is fairly infrequent.

Thanks!
    I have similar issues -- using an older kernel (2.6.32.x) which was still installed from a previous ubuntu version worked for me, but messed up graphics drivers, and sine I need 3d I had to use the newer kernel. I'm currently trying to do a more detailed analysis of what is happening -- usually the computer freezes even before the login screen, sometimes I just get a random freeze in the middle of using the computer. I'm also on 11.04, but will try to upgrade to 11.10 sometime to see if that improves things (but at the moment I don't have the time to deal with the potential side issues of such an update...).

Beans

Re: Toshiba Portege R700 / R705 Linux Hardware Compatibility Thread-BIOS PROBLEM

I own an R705-P25, and right now have only UBUNTU 11.10 installed. I am trying to install LINUXMINT12 through a LiveCD. But when I enter the BIOS after holding F12, and try to change the boot order, I'm unable to. Any key I press just causes the BIOS boot order screen to just blink. I believe the BIOS is at v1.5 right now. Is there an alternative way to install a different distro? Or do I need to update the BIOS?(I've seen the FreeDOS method but I think it calls for me being able to boot from USB, which I can't seem to do). Any suggestions?

-LinuxBeginner-

Beans

Does anybody figure out how to get sound through the hdmi to tv?
    Or is it working br default for you?

Beans
    Hidden!

It should work if you go to the sound option (icon on top right)...sound preferences. Go to Hardware > profile dropdown > select HDMI. It's one of those options.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bakinsoda View Post
    It should work if you go to the sound option (icon on top right)...sound preferences. Go to Hardware > profile dropdown > select HDMI. It's one of those options.
    Ive tried that. no hdmi sound though.

Beans

upgrading to 12.10 seems to solve the brightness problem. but it doesnt work at all when resuming from hibernation...any idea?

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819