Thread: no tty display after nvidia driver installed

Beans

Angry no tty display after nvidia driver installed

after the nvidia driver installed my laptop cannot open tty1~tty6. after hit ctrl alt fn. nothing but a blank black screen.
    my platform is ubuntu 12.04 desktop and nvidia gtx 230m, any solution please? thx

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: no tty display after nvidia driver installed

Quote Originally Posted by Chace Young View Post
    after the nvidia driver installed my laptop cannot open tty1~tty6. after hit ctrl alt fn. nothing but a blank black screen.
    my platform is ubuntu 12.04 desktop and nvidia gtx 230m, any solution please? thx
    Can you answer the following questions to clarify your problem:

1. Do you mean pressing the following three keys at the same time?
    ctrl + alt + F1
    ctrl + alt + F6

2. Did it work before installing the nvidia driver?

3. Does the graphic desktop interface work as it should (on tty7)?

4. Is it the built-in nvidia driver suggested by the system (jockey-gtk), or is it a driver downloaded directly from nvidia's web site and installed manually?

These things work for me in a system that I have updated from the beta stage. (It should be the current Ubuntu 12.04 because it is completely updated, and I have two nvidia chips an older one in one computer and GeForce GT 430 in another one)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Can you answer the following questions to clarify your problem:

1. Do you mean pressing the following three keys at the same time?
    ctrl + alt + F1
    ctrl + alt + F6

2. Did it work before installing the nvidia driver?

3. Does the graphic desktop interface work as it should (on tty7)?

4. Is it the built-in nvidia driver suggested by the system (jockey-gtk), or is it a driver downloaded directly from nvidia's web site and installed manually?

These things work for me in a system that I have updated from the beta stage. (It should be the current Ubuntu 12.04 because it is completely updated, and I have two nvidia chips an older one in one computer and GeForce GT 430 in another one)
    1. yep
    2. it worked well before the drive installed.
    3. it works well on tty7.
    4. i just use the apt-get nvidia-current
    ps: is that a resolution issue?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Chace Young View Post
    1. yep
    2. it worked well before the drive installed.
    3. it works well on tty7.
    4. i just use the apt-get nvidia-current
    ps: is that a resolution issue?
    Try if there is another alternative suggested by
    Code:
    jockey-gtk
    that would keep the text mode options

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 includes the buggy version 295.40 nvidia graphics driver. One of the problems I have seen is that virtual terminals don't work (actually they are there - it is just that the screen is completely blank so you can not see the text). Note, for my card, the nvidia driver also crashes (segmentation fault) after a few hours. In the last few days, nvidia have also published 295.49 and 302.07 (beta) versions but I find the same two problems in those also.

I have removed the proprietary nvidia driver and am using the standard open nouveau driver which works very well, has full 3D effects, etc. Maybe you want to try this also.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Ubuntu 12.04 includes the buggy version 295.40 nvidia graphics driver. One of the problems I have seen is that virtual terminals don't work (actually they are there - it is just that the screen is completely blank so you can not see the text). Note, for my card, the nvidia driver also crashes (segmentation fault) after a few hours. In the last few days, nvidia have also published 295.49 and 302.07 (beta) versions but I find the same two problems in those also.

I have removed the proprietary nvidia driver and am using the standard open nouveau driver which works very well, has full 3D effects, etc. Maybe you want to try this also.
    thx, i'm using the standard driver nouveau, but i want to use CUDA for my study, so nvidia driver is necessary!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Try if there is another alternative suggested by
    Code:
    jockey-gtk
    that would keep the text mode options
    thx a lot. i'll try it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Another alternative is to download and install various drivers directly from nvidia's web site. You need to run in text mode, either booting in recovery mode or some other text mode, because it is necessary to stop the graphic desktop environment before running the install script. See for example the following link

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1948324

and remember that another version of the driver might be better for you. You may have to install and uninstall several of them. (It is important to uninstall the old one before installing another one.)