Thread: Something eat resourses

Beans

Angry Something eat resourses

Subject is all - something eat resources in my Ubuntu.

gnome-system-monitor usually shows me, that for about 400-900mb of memory is used (with only Firefox, Deluge, Deadbeef and usual stuff running) and moreover - both cores of processor is working pretty hard too : ~ 25-60 % for both.

seems strange to me.

tell me please - how can i check what is so hungry in my Ubuntu?

p.s.: got built in video-card and auido card. does it makes sence?
    p.p.s.: couple of days ago decided to turn off pulseaudio stuff (got a problem - only one user on one PC could use sound) and changed it to ALSA.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Something eat resourses

GNOME in general is a bit of a hog, but try just going on to the processes tab and use the little title things to organise the processes by amount of CPU/RAM used. That should give you a vague idea of what's using the most juice on your system.

Beans

And if you want something a little less vague, try running top or htop from a terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by peaceprayer View Post
    Subject is all - something eat resources in my Ubuntu.

gnome-system-monitor usually shows me, that for about 400-900mb of memory is used (with only Firefox, Deluge, Deadbeef and usual stuff running) and moreover - both cores of processor is working pretty hard too : ~ 25-60 % for both.

seems strange to me.

tell me please - how can i check what is so hungry in my Ubuntu?

p.s.: got built in video-card and auido card. does it makes sence?
    p.p.s.: couple of days ago decided to turn off pulseaudio stuff (got a problem - only one user on one PC could use sound) and changed it to ALSA.
    try with the top command?
    Code:
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans

i tried htop and top commands, and the strange thing it usually looked like:
    the sum of all process % equals ~ 10, but overall % sometimes jumps to 50% or something and holds like this for a several seconds.

also the problem is not only when Ubuntu working it seems to work slower now, but even the time it need to start increased.

how can i get info what processes take what resources from the very start till the moment i'll see the desktop?

thank you for answers, guys!