Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After update ubuntu 10.4 won't boot

Beans

Exclamation After update ubuntu 10.4 won't boot

I'm not sure what updates I installed as it did it automatically and I was surfing the Internet. But I start up my computer again, grub is fine, press enter at Ubuntu but the I'm not welcomed by my splashscreen but rather a terminal like interface that flashes about 6 times and then the screen goes black

So I think the update must have screwed with something to do with the graphics. How can I fix this using Ubuntu recovery mode?

Thanks.

Any more info will be provided as asked

P.S. I'm writing this on my iPod so excuse the spelling mistakes, if any

Beans

Re: After update ubuntu 10.4 won't boot

Brii,

If the update included a new kernel, it may not be playing nice with your graphics card. The simplest approach might be to select the previous kernel at the grub boot screen and then uninstall the new kernel once you get back to the desktop.

Mal

Beans

Thanks for the reply, but how do I uninstall the kernel or activate the old on from the terminal?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    Brii,

If the update included a new kernel, it may not be playing nice with your graphics card. The simplest approach might be to select the previous kernel at the grub boot screen and then uninstall the new kernel once you get back to the desktop.

Mal
    I went into the grub configure file and saw vmlinux-2.6.32-24-generic

I ls'd that directory and saw that there's about 4 files like that but with smaller numbers at th end. I thought this wa the kernel so I shortened the number to match the other files. But no luck. It booted the same as before

Beans

Brii,

You should be able to select a kernel at start-up from the initial grub menu that appears when you boot the computer. If this is not displayed, press the escape key during boot and the menu should appear.

I don't think it's a good idea to edit the filenames in the grub configuration file. You can configure grub to default to a different kernel by changing the line "GRUB_DEFAULT=0" in the file /etc/default/grub. For example if you change this to "GRUB_DEFAULT=2" it will boot the next oldest kernal (3rd line on the boot menu). I think you will need to run "sudo update-grub" after making this change.

You can also remove the unwanted kernel using Synaptic (from the System/Administration menu).

Hope this helps.

Mal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    Brii,

You should be able to select a kernel at start-up from the initial grub menu that appears when you boot the computer. If this is not displayed, press the escape key during boot and the menu should appear.

I don't think it's a good idea to edit the filenames in the grub configuration file. You can configure grub to default to a different kernel by changing the line "GRUB_DEFAULT=0" in the file /etc/default/grub. For example if you change this to "GRUB_DEFAULT=2" it will boot the next oldest kernal (3rd line on the boot menu). I think you will need to run "sudo update-grub" after making this change.

You can also remove the unwanted kernel using Synaptic (from the System/Administration menu).

Hope this helps.

Mal
    Damn, nothing worked. Editing the default didn't work either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It's probably your xserver that did it. Are you using proprietary drivers? In that case, the new version of xorg probably isn't compatible with your proprietary drivers. You'll need to rollback your xserver. I have forgotten how to do this but i'm sure someone else can. And that someone may be Google.

Beans

I ran the package recovery in recovery mode, it didn't fix anything, but I saw this
    Code:
    Directory: usr/src/psb-kernel-source-4.42.0 does not exist
    Is this my problem?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
    It's probably your xserver that did it. Are you using proprietary drivers? In that case, the new version of xorg probably isn't compatible with your proprietary drivers. You'll need to rollback your xserver. I have forgotten how to do this but i'm sure someone else can. And that someone may be Google.
    My graphics card isn't supported. I'm not using any real drivers for it.

I forget but if GMA500 is a type of graphics card nthats the one I have

Beans

Okay I found out that my problem is indeed the fact that the kernel updated

I do have a gma500 and the kernell is 2.6.32-24-generic

How do I downgrade? I have internet access in the command line if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast