Thread: Getting Uplink running

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Getting Uplink running

Quote Originally Posted by Beggar Su View Post
    What I did to get it working (using ubuntu dapper drake 6.06) was to

+ Unzip uplink.zip from cd to i.e /home/usr ~home folder
    + Download both loki and tar patches from uplink website
    + Run the loki sh script (edit the install path of uplink if you put it somewhere else. Also to uncheck 'CD Data Files')
    + Patch created a lib folder in uplink folder. Copy the .dat files in the uplink folder to the lib folder.
    + Untar the tar patch and copy the patch.dat to the lib folder and 'uplink'
    script to main uplink folder.
    + Terminal, change directory to uplink folder. Run ./uplink

Hope that helps
    Yeah it works, i had trouble running the x-app in a shell script way so i just overwrote the uplink file with the demo shell script i downloaded from introversion, thanks a bunch kid,
    luck of the irish be with ya!

Beans

Looks like there's another patch. Here's how I got it working this time. Extract the zip in the Linux folder on the CD. Download Patch 1.54 for Linux from http://www.uplink.co.uk/otherfiles.html and run it. Then copy *.dat from the folder you extracted the stuff to it's subfolder lib. Then just run ./uplink.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks Glotz, I got it working with your instructions.
    However, I am a linux beginner, so it took me a while to get everything together.
    Here's my beginners guide to getting Uplink working with Ubuntu (I'm using Feisty)

First of all, Uplink requires libgtk1 for the installation wizard to work. Install it using:

Code:
    sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade
    sudo aptitude install libgtk1.2
    (If someone knows how to do the following steps with the terminal I'd be grateful for their help)

I used the CD to install uplink. Put the CD in and open up the terminal.
    Navigate to your CD using
    Code:
    cd /media/cdrom
    Now open up the linux folder located on the cd using
    Code:
    cd linux
    Before we copy the linux files from the CD to your computer, lets make a temporary folder to keep the files.

Code:
    mkdir ~/Uplink
    Now copy the file (which is a single zip file by the way) into your new folder

Code:
    cp uplink.zip ~/Uplink
    Now head over to your new Uplink folder

Code:
    cd ~/Uplink
    Unzip the files in this directory by typing

Code:
    unzip uplink.zip
    Now you need to download the latest linux patch from the Uplink website (version 1.54 at time of writing). Save the file to your desktop (usually this is the default for Firefox)

Once it is downloaded run the patch using:
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo sh uplink-patch-1.54.sh
    It's probably best to leave the settings as they are. I will assume you have done so.
    The installation wizard is very straightforward, follow the onscreen instructions and don't change the options.

Now we just need to copy the files you took off the CD into the Uplink game folder. The latest uplink patch includes a new sound.dat, so I wouldn't copy this one. The easiest way to do this (I've found) is touse the -u switch with the cp command. This Updates your files (ie only overwrites files if the source is newer than the target. Since the new patched sound.dat is newer than the old sound.dat we obtained off the CD, when we copy the files it won't overwrite the latest sound.dat. Geddit?

Anyway, to do this:

Code:
    sudo cp -u ~/Uplink/*.dat /usr/local/games/uplink/lib
    That's it! It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.

There is one slight problem I've found with my installation though. Uplink (And Darwinia for that matter) add a shortcut to your applications menu, but it seems to go into the wrong place.
    It's easy to move it to your games folder
    System -> Preferences -> Main Menu
    Using the main menu preferences you can easily move the shortcut to your games folder (it's in the Other folder by default, by the way). Just drag the shortcuts into the Games folder

To run the game, click on the shortcut you've just moved, or (because it's Uplink and it's that bit more immersive) type Uplink into the terminal.

Enjoy this awesome game.

By the way, it's safe to delete the Uplink folder in your home folder now.
    Last edited by StooJ; September 21st, 2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Modified the procedure thanks to Glotz

Beans

Glad to be of any use. Great writeup mate! I missed that new sounds file completely! It would be cool if somebody included this in the wiki, say at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Games/Uplink I was too lazy to do it myself...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks Glotz.

Write on the wiki? That'd be my "coming of age" in Ubuntu - I'd love it!

However, I'd like to get the guide streamlined a bit more first. If I knew the command to extract the zipped file to the home folder or something I'd be well up for publishing it.

In the meantime, I'm going to post it on the Ubuntu Gamers Arena tonight.

Beans

Great!

To cd into the cdrom do cd /media/cdrom
    Then cd into the linux folder
    To make a folder you mkdir. e.g. mkdir ~/games/uplink
    To copy the zippie do cp uplink.zip ~/games/uplink
    Then cd into ~/games/uplink
    To extract the zip you unzip. e.g. unzip uplink.zip

I hope I didn't include too many logic errors there... Don't worry about getting the wiki page perfect. The point of a wiki is that everybody can contribute and fix any errors that there might be. I think writing this kind of 'meta documentation' is a good way for newbies (like myself) to give back something to the community. From newbies to newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great guide, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

anyone know how to get mods working in linux? like custom gateways and stuff?

edit: nevermind, found my answer: extract to /uplink/lib instead of just to /uplink
    Last edited by jack handy; December 6th, 2007 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi all

I am trying to install Uplink as well from the CD that I did get from introversion.co.uk. The issue that I am facing is that everyone keeps telling me to unzip the uplink.zip file that is located on the CDROM, but I don't have an uplink.zip file. the only file located in the Linux folder is uplink-complete-1.31.sh

when I run that, all I get is:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing Uplink complete 1.31.............................................. ..............................

Then nothing happens, and I'm not seeing any files located anywhere on my system.

Am I missing a file on the CD (as in did I get a bad copy?) or am I missing a step here?
    Last edited by nefrin; May 20th, 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Beans

I think you've either got a defective CD or maybe they've changed the contents. They have a forum, try asking there if nobody here comes up with a solution. And the future generations will appreciate you posting the solution here once you figure it out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast