Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Support for Netgear WNA3100 USB Adapter?

Beans

Re: Support for Netgear WNA3100 USB Adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennuzzz View Post
    Does the connection work with encryption and do you use bcwlhigh5 of 6?
    It does not work with encryption, sadly, although I haven't investigated much yet. This is using bcwlhigh5.inf on a 32-bit machine.

Beans

Hi, yesterday I bought this usb adapter and got it worked with your posts in this thread and wrote my experience at Netgear_WNA3100 page of ndiswrapper wiki. I hope it helps.

Btw, while writing this, I saw your comment, parsim but bcmwlhigh5 works under 64 bit Lucid with WPA2.

Beans

Re: [SOLUTION?] Support for Netgear WNA3100 USB Adapter?

This works for me, thank you so much, I haven't been able to get this to work since I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10. Yay Yay the crowd goes wild!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SenLin View Post
    I know this is getting to be an old thread, but for the sake of others who are still searching and stumbling through here, I wanted to quickly tell what worked for me.

Thanks, guys, for all your work...I was about to follow your instructions for modding ndiswrapper (1.56), but decided first to try compiling the latest "beta" (ndiswrapper-1.57rc1) without any changes...and...VOILA! It worked!

So, for those still searching:
    1. Grab the latest (at least 1.57) source code at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/files/
    2. extract, 'cd' into the folder, 'make uninstall', 'make', 'make install, (as per the simple instructions in the extracted INSTALL file ;o)
    3. Use your shiny NEW ndiswrapper to install your .inf driver:
      Code:
      sudo ndiswrapper -i /LOCATION/OF/bcmwlhigh5.inf

Hopefully, it won't be long till this works its way into all of our systems anyway!
    This works for me, thank you so much, I haven't been able to get this to work since I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10. Yay Yay the crowd goes wild!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Bean View Post
    Could you tell me what version of Ubuntu you are running? I just set up a 11.10 64 bits and I can't get the wireless adapter to work...

Beans

http://askubuntu.com/questions/48563...reless-adapter

ZOMG SIMPLE SOLUTION WITH NO LINE CODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also use
    bcmwlhigh5.inf
    bcmwlhigh5.sys

Dont know if it matters but the following was in the file also:

0846:9020.F.conf

I am using Pinguy OS and have the WNA3100 USB adapter working. It's how I'm posting now!

Beans

^that didn't work for me. I'm getting nowhere with this and this is the deal breaker for me for linux.
    why can't things just work lol.

Beans

Adding my experiences with the WNA3100(v2) adapter. First, my hardware is 64-bit. I have dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10 system. I have installed the Netgear drivers in the Windows 7 system and the driver files I get are in C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR\WNDA3100v2\Driver\WIN764\

bcmwlhigh6.inf
    bcmwlhigh6.sys
    bcmwlhigh664.sys

I copied those to /usr/local/share/ndiswrapper_drivers (a directory I created myself) on the Ubuntu system. I also compiled stock ndiswrapper-1.57 from source and installed it (make && make install -- the usual as root install).

I can then use ndiswrapper to install the driver (again, all this as root):

cd /usr/local/share/ndiswrapper_drivers
    ndiswrapper -i bcmwlhigh6.inf
    ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwlhigh6 : driver installed
    device (0846:9011) present
    modprobe ndiswrapper

This results in the following dmesg output (truncated):

[ 9525.439534] ndiswrapper version 1.57 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [ 9525.596052] usb 1-8: reset high speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
    [ 9525.730007] usb 1-8: device firmware changed
    [ 9525.730021] ndiswrapper (wrap_pnp_start_usb_device:647): reset failed: -19
    [ 9525.730056] usb 1-8: USB disconnect, device number 4
    [ 9525.735458] ndiswrapper (import:232): unknown symbol: NDIS.SYS:'NdisQueueIoWorkItem'
    [ 9525.735469] ndiswrapper (import:232): unknown symbol: NDIS.SYS:'NdisFreeIoWorkItem'
    [ 9525.735476] ndiswrapper (import:232): unknown symbol: NDIS.SYS:'NdisMSetMiniportAttributes'
    [ 9525.735487] ndiswrapper (import:232): unknown symbol: NDIS.SYS:'NdisMResetComplete'
    [ 9525.735494] ndiswrapper (import:232): unknown symbol: NDIS.SYS:'NdisMAllocatePort'
    [ 9525.735501] ndiswrapper (import:232): unknown symbol: NDIS.SYS:'NdisAllocateIoWorkItem'
    [ 9525.735508] ndiswrapper (import:232): unknown symbol: NDIS.SYS:'NdisMSendNetBufferListsComplete'
    [ 9525.735515] ndiswrapper (import:232): unknown symbol: NDIS.SYS:'NdisMDeregisterMiniportDriver'

So version 6 of these drivers do not work with ndiswrapper (assuming the 6 in bcmlhigh6.inf refers to some kind of version number). I found version 5 of the drivers on a thread somewhere (ndis_bcmwl.zip):

bcmwlhigh5.inf
    bcmwlhigh5.sys
    bcmwlhigh564.sys

Redoing all the ndiswrapper config results in a working wireless adapter that "works" with WPA2. I put works in quotes because if you stress it (for example, upgrade a stock 11.10 using Update Manager, downloading 100's of megabytes of files), it will stop working and any attempt to reset it (by doing a rmmod ndiswrapper; modprobe ndiswrapper) results in a kernel panic. The only recovery once it wedges is a reboot.

Not ideal, but ok ...

-Doug

Beans

Hi guys,

I've just installed Ububtu 12.04 x64 (i'm brand new to this operating system and had to swim in the deep waters from the beginning) and had the same problem as you (but now i'm writing from the ubuntu platform )!!

But i managed to come along with it by googling almost 3 hours!!

Just to know i'm also running windows 7 x64 on the same machine but i don't think that matters.

The solution comes from a linux mint Forum!!Following this link http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=97610 will guide you to the specific subject. At the bottom you will see a download link.http://outpox.free.fr/Downloads/Netgear ... int.tar.gz.
    After downloading, you will find in the folder a HowTo.txt file. Follow the instructions carefully.!!
    When done there is one more thing to do:

You have to go to your router's settings and deactivate the authentication type or the security mode that you have. Unfortunatelly, you have to leave the access tottaly free. However you can use MAC Address filtering in your router and thus you 'll be able to control the access in the network.
    Save your changes and enjoy!!

P.S My router settings were: wpa2-psk authentication type and TKIP/AES encryption for the wireless password. Having these settings, the adapter was able to "see" my home network but when i tried to enter the password it just wouldn't do anything prompting the window for setting the wireless password over and over again. I did different combinations of router settings but only with the totally free access got it work!!!

I hope this was helpfull!!

Greetings from Greece!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by marios85; April 29th, 2012 at 10:03 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910