Thread: Interview with Isabell Long

Interview with Isabell Long

Penelope Stowe: Tell us a bit about yourself

Isabell Long: My name is Isabell Long, I’m 16, and I now live in England - after spending four years living in France. I have an extensive interest in technology and open-source software. I am a community coordinator for the freenode IRC network and a proud official Ubuntu community member, amongst other things.

PS: How did you get involved in Ubuntu?

IL: I think it was about two years ago when I made friends with someone who used Ubuntu. I then started using it on and off for about a year, then I got my own computer and got rid of Windows completely. I now have Ubuntu on both my computers, and no Windows in sight! With regard to my involvement in the Ubuntu community, however, I became an official Ubuntu community member in March this year. It has made me very happy!

PS: What do you do with Ubuntu?

IL: At present, I help Penelope with these interviews for Full Circle Magazine (yeah, it’s weird being “the other side” on this occasion!); I do British English and French translation on Launchpad; I help people with their problems in the Answers section of Launchpad; I am involved in Ubuntu UK and Ubuntu Women; and that’s about it for now! Not much really, eh?

PS: What would you like to o that you’re not already doing?

IL: Go to more events, and learn to triage bugs, in a sentence.

PS: I know you’re still a student; has working with Ubuntu helped this at all?

IL: Not really, in fact I prefer to keep my school life separate from what I do online outside of school. I do have a faint hope that my school (or any school!) will recognize Ubuntu, or even open-source software in general, but they are firmly stuck to Microsoft. It is a great shame. To properly answer the question, it has helped me personally by giving me a broader outlook, teaching me things that I would never have learned if I had just stayed within the confines of normal education (not that my education has been that normal having moved countries and having to learn French from scratch, but that’s a totally different story!), and I have got to know some amazing people thanks to all that I’m involved in online.

PS: How do you think the Ubuntu community could reach out more to get more younger women (so teenaged-ish) involved? What are we already doing right?

IL: Younger women? Maybe we shouldn’t focus so much on the female differentiation side of things, and just concentrate on getting more young people in general, either male or female involved? Ubuntu Youth could (and should) definitely be revived (I hang out in the IRC channel and not very much happens) and the “getting Ubuntu in schools” road could be continued upon, but no doubt people will agree with me here that that road is an extremely long and difficult one!

PS: When you’re not working on Ubuntu or schoolwork what are your interests?

IL: I love music as well as technology, and I have a passion to learn things. Learning to code is one of my goals, hence why I’m currently learning Python. I also love data, statistics, and making cool stuff out of freely available data and statistics, which also fuels my great desire to learn. Everything I do is great fun. You can find out even more about me in general at http://issyl0.co.uk/

Originally posted by Penelope Stowe in Full Circle Magazine Issue #39 on July 30, 2010

More...

Beans

Re: Interview with Isabell Long

PS: I know you’re still a student; has working with Ubuntu helped this at all?

IL: Not really, in fact I prefer to keep my school life separate from what I do online outside of school. I do have a faint hope that my school (or any school!) will recognize Ubuntu, or even open-source software in general, but they are firmly stuck to Microsoft.[...]
    I have the same feelings here at my university in the U.S. I'm pursuing my degree in Computer Science and %99 percent of all development has been in Windows. It is nice that MS gives us the tools for free, but all the linux experience I have received during my education has been on my own. It is even difficult to do basic programming assignments in Linux because all the professors want Visual Studio solutions. The worst part is that they don't even really teach Visual Studio because the professors don't even know it that well. So we are forced to use a Windows only development environment and we aren't even taught most of the benefits of tool.

PS: How do you think the Ubuntu community could reach out more to get more younger women (so teenaged-ish) involved? What are we already doing right?

IL: Younger women? Maybe we shouldn’t focus so much on the female differentiation side of things, and just concentrate on getting more young people in general, either male or female involved? Ubuntu Youth could (and should) definitely be revived (I hang out in the IRC channel and not very much happens) and the “getting Ubuntu in schools” road could be continued upon, but no doubt people will agree with me here that that road is an extremely long and difficult one!
    I agree. We still need a push for more Linux in schools. Here in the U.S. funding for education is really dwindling (As I assume around the world). I don't even think Linux is a consideration when they are doing budget reviews for technology. The question is "Can we afford 15 more Windows machines?... if not... we cant buy computers." or "We just purchased Windows for our new computer lab last year so we have to fire some teachers to pay for it."

PS: When you’re not working on Ubuntu or schoolwork what are your interests?

IL: I love music as well as technology, and I have a passion to learn things. Learning to code is one of my goals, hence why I’m currently learning Python. I also love data, statistics, and making cool stuff out of freely available data and statistics, which also fuels my great desire to learn. Everything I do is great fun. You can find out even more about me in general at http://issyl0.co.uk/
    Good to hear. I love to see people excited about technology. Have fun learning Python.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Interview with Isabell Long

Hi Isabell

History not news, but I thought you, and other readers of your interview might be interested in knowing that Google offered women a bursary to attend this year's Europython conference.

They may do the same next year when it is to be held in Italy. It might be worth keeping an eye on the europython.eu website to see if the opportunity is repeated.