Thread: Error: Please Help (Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Error: Please Help (Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO)

Hello everyone!

I've visited the Ubuntu a few times in the past - but always shied away from trying it out due to how it seemed that I'd either have to delete my Windows XP or do a bunch of complicated stuff. Recently (read: tonight) however I found Wubi, which seems like it would be great.

The only problem is that when I tried to install (after choosing username/password, and language) it came up with an error. I will put an image of the error below, and transcribe it into text right after that.

--

Ubuntu Installer
    An error occured:
    Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
    For more information, please see the log file: c:\docume~1\andrewu\locals~1\temp\wubi-10.04-rev189.log

--

I tried going to the file it mentioned 'for more information' but couldn't find the docume~1 folder. I apologize for having to bother you folks with what hopefully will turn out to be an easily resolved and silly problem, but I'm quite technologically illiterate, at least when it comes to these type of things.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on an EeePC Netbook, with 0.99 GB of RAM. I tried (separately) installing both normal Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook. If any of that info helps. If there is any needed information that I need to post, please mention it and I'll try.

Thanks for any help with resolving this issue!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Error: Please Help (Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO)

Quote Originally Posted by Vol Vox View Post
    Hello everyone!

I've visited the Ubuntu a few times in the past - but always shied away from trying it out due to how it seemed that I'd either have to delete my Windows XP or do a bunch of complicated stuff. Recently (read: tonight) however I found Wubi, which seems like it would be great.

The only problem is that when I tried to install (after choosing username/password, and language) it came up with an error. I will put an image of the error below, and transcribe it into text right after that.

--

Ubuntu Installer
    An error occured:
    Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
    For more information, please see the log file: c:\docume~1\andrewu\locals~1\temp\wubi-10.04-rev189.log

--

I tried going to the file it mentioned 'for more information' but couldn't find the docume~1 folder. I apologize for having to bother you folks with what hopefully will turn out to be an easily resolved and silly problem, but I'm quite technologically illiterate, at least when it comes to these type of things.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on an EeePC Netbook, with 0.99 GB of RAM. I tried (separately) installing both normal Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook. If any of that info helps. If there is any needed information that I need to post, please mention it and I'll try.

Thanks for any help with resolving this issue!
    You get to the log file by entering %temp% in the address bar of windows explorer. If it can't download the metalink it means there is a problem accessing the internet. Wubi requires internet access unless you download the .iso separately and run it from a disk. (It verifies the md5 checksum of the .iso).

Downloading the .iso is a good idea anyway - to create a live CD/USB - and also if you have to reinstall it doesn't have to download it each time.

PS. I think there is a special version of ubuntu for the eeepc - I saw some reference to it recently: http://www.auroraos.org/ - don't know if it's still ubuntu or a new linux flavour. In fact, I know nothing about it - but thought i'd share the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

download the ISO yourself, burn it to CD, and then you can run Wubi from the CD itself.

It's not hard to do a real dual-boot installation, at least not these days, so you could boot your computer from CD and do a real Ubuntu installation if you want.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

bcbc, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the ISO file link on the Wubi site is broken, and I can't seem to find a download for just the ISO on the Ubuntu site. Do you happen to know where I can find it? Oh, and thanks for the Aurora tip. If this doesn't work I'll look into that.

3rdalbum, unfortunately my netbook doesn't have a CD drive, and 'dual boot' seems to complicated in any case. Thanks though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

bcbc, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the ISO file link on the Wubi site is broken, and I can't seem to find a download for just the ISO on the Ubuntu site. Do you happen to know where I can find it? Oh, and thanks for the Aurora tip. If this doesn't work I'll look into that.

3rdalbum, unfortunately my netbook doesn't have a CD drive, and 'dual boot' seems to complicated in any case. Thanks though.
    I didn't think the wubi site had a link to download the .iso

You can get the desktop or netbook versions here:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Solved!

Wow, awesome. Between the Wubi FAQ and your help, I was able to install Ubuntu! I'm actually typing this in Firefox on Ubuntu right now. Thanks a bunch.

I'm still trying to get used to it - it's definitely different than Windows. I'm also looking to see if there is a way to switch between the Netbook desktop view and the normal - so I can see both. But, you've done me a huge favor, so I'll just make a new thread for that.

Again, thanks a bunch bcbc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Solved!

Wow, awesome. Between the Wubi FAQ and your help, I was able to install Ubuntu! I'm actually typing this in Firefox on Ubuntu right now. Thanks a bunch.

I'm still trying to get used to it - it's definitely different than Windows. I'm also looking to see if there is a way to switch between the Netbook desktop view and the normal - so I can see both. But, you've done me a huge favor, so I'll just make a new thread for that.

Again, thanks a bunch bcbc.
    you're welcome
    I've been browsing the forums and it appears that you can <...deleted...> and then, whenever you login, you can select in a sessions drop-down whether to login to Netbook or Ubuntu.

I'll try it myself and post back.
    Last edited by bcbc; August 6th, 2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: correct mistake

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Actually you don't need to install ubuntu-desktop.
    Just click on your user name when you login, look below and select "Gnome" from the session drop down box and you're in standard desktop mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I found that out after relogging, forgot to post and say so though. Thanks a bunch bcbc! I'm using Ubuntu and loving it.