Thread: Extremely slow boot and shutdown and I have no idea why.

Beans

Extremely slow boot and shutdown and I have no idea why.

Hi everyone =)

I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now. I have the 64 bit version of 10.04. My issue is that when booting into Ubuntu, it's extremely slow. I'm talking minutes here. When I shut down the computer, the same thing occurs. Occasionally it won't even shut down but just hang. It may not be hanging, but after about 5 minutes I get tired of waiting.

I have no idea why this is happening.

Some other specifications that seem important are my system is set to dual boot along with Win 7 64-bit. The model of my computer is the Asus M50. Instead of copying all the specs, the computer can be found on Newegg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-343-_-Product

I hope someone can point me in the right direction to solving this issue. I'm happy to cooperate with anyone who's willing to do so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Extremely slow boot and shutdown and I have no idea why.

Is it slow shutting down in 7? Are you using programs that use a lot of memory? Looks like a good computer.
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Beans

Generally a long boot is caused by a floppy drive enabled in the bios (even if you do not have a floppy). Turn off any such options first to see if boot improves. Also, perhaps post your /var/log/syslog here either as a file or inside code (#) tags.

Beans

I've done a bit of reading thus far - seen the issues with the floppy drive. I've made sure this is definitely not enabled.

A friend of mine suggested it may be an issue with ext4 and recommended reinstalling with ext3.

Win 7 boots and shuts down normally.

Before I post it, I want to say that /var/log/syslog is *huge*. Perhaps it would be smaller after a reboot? I'm not sure how this file works exactly.
    ror

As far as memory intensive programs go - i'm not running anything out of the ordinary. Chrome and compiz seem to be the most resource intensive. Other than that I typically have open office up, vlc, rtorrent or transmission, skype, and that's about it.

I also have a blank ext3 partition formatted and ready to go... but i'm not sure what to copy and how I would change grub and anything else I'd need to make the system boot properly.

Update: This only happens when I fully shutdown. The slowness doesn't occur when I reboot.
    Last edited by Atrophy; August 5th, 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Beans

Im going to narrow this problem down:

There is a 30 second pause after I select Ubuntu in Grub and when Ubuntu actually starts loading.

How do I get rid of this pause?

Beans