Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dependency error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: dependency error

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    OK

To use linux efficiently you need the internet.

It is possible to use it without but it is a hell of alot of messing about.

Download stuff you need from here

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/

For each package you want to install, you have to download the dependencies, then check their dependencies and so on until you have exhausted the list.

Put them all into one directory, cd into that directory and type
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    and cross your fingers that dpkg will sort it out.

Or get an internet connection
    An internet connection is not always possible. And this is not always a good idea:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    This can cause packages to break, it used to be our old suggested installation method for Keryx but a lot of users responded back that packages were broken afterwards. Sometimes --force is needed to install in this method as well and can cause havoc. Generally it works, but you'd be better off downloading the packages and the package list files and copying them to the apt cache on your offline machine and installing through apt-get. It will throw errors on apt-get update trying to contact the server, but it will read through the new lists and since the packages are already in the cache it won't attempt to access the internet to download packages. This is our new installation method for Keryx and it will never break a user's system.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by EXCiD3 View Post
    An internet connection is not always possible. And this is not always a good idea:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    This can cause packages to break, it used to be our old suggested installation method for Keryx but a lot of users responded back that packages were broken afterwards. Sometimes --force is needed to install in this method as well and can cause havoc. Generally it works, but you'd be better off downloading the packages and the package list files and copying them to the apt cache on your offline machine and installing through apt-get. It will throw errors on apt-get update trying to contact the server, but it will read through the new lists and since the packages are already in the cache it won't attempt to access the internet to download packages. This is our new installation method for Keryx and it will never break a user's system.
    Ok

You are clearly part of a project to fix this issue.

I was just pointing out how you (used??) to do it.

Go with what this guy says
    Last edited by nothingspecial; August 5th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hehe, yeah I have just spent a lot of time around this issue because I had dialup at home until 2 months ago.

Just trying to help clear some of the misconceptions that seem to be spreading around. Like that stupid synaptic download script...it only works if you can download the package lists on your machine. I see people recommending it because it's "official" since it's in Synaptic, but really, it doesn't do what most people need. Quite a confusing array of choices that you have, and some suggestions just plain don't make sense.

Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes. Hope I didn't step on anyone's feet!
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans

I downloaded keryx and put it on both this computer with internet and the computer without internet. It runs fine on the computer without internet except that it wants to download stuff and that just isn't happening.

Then when I have it on the computer with internet and running windows I get the startup window asking me if I want to start a new project or open an old one. I don't have any old projects, so I clicked start a new one. Then it keeps telling me to "Please create a project compatible with the plugin's supported OS". The only option I have is Debian.

*sigh* I'm really starting to wonder if this will ever get fixed. I seriously need to install something to be able to install something? Seriously?

I also tried loading things directly from the disk I used to install.

Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install build-essential
    gcc -v
    Then I get an error saying "Failed to fetch CD" or something like that. I've reburned the CD a few times (10.04 LTS) and restarted the computer a few times to try it again, but it never works. Same thing if I insert the CD and try to fetch it using the Synaptic package manager.

Thanks everyone who wrote in! Hopefully I will have the internet soon and this won't be such a PITA.

P.S. I am a girl.

Beans

Sorry! I use it on the non internet computer first, and then transfer over. Dur.

Beans

Ok so I ran it on ubuntu, then over on my windows where it downloaded all the packages. So then I go back to linux, and go from the project menu go to install packages.

Then I get an error saying

"Failed to update the APT cache. Aborting installation."

WTH? I was really beginning to think this would actually work...

Beans

Ok. Used keryx and got the packages downloaded. Moved it to my other computer, copied it off the thumb drive and then restarted. This got rid of the ATP error.

THEN I got another error saying I had broken packages.

Eventually I figured out I was able to go into the project/packages folder and just click on the .deb for build-essential and install. I wish all the other packages had installed too, but that was what I needed.

Now I'm trying to get bwa installed, a bioinformatics mapping tool. It says to use make, but doesn't explicitly say what I need to do and I could really use some tips!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you click into the folder (if you see what I mean), is there a MAKEFILE?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12