Thread: How to kill a print job

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How to kill a print job

Hi Folks -- I accidentally submitted a print job twice. So I have this job sitting in the queue and haven't been able to figure out how to clear it. Tried system > administration > printing. Nothing there about how to clear the queue. I'm running 8.04. HELP!!!! ...Fred

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to kill a print job

You can either open the printer applet if it is shown, then right click the items and cancel them or enter "lprm" in a terminal. Then to check and makes sure the jobs are cancelled, you can enter "lpstat" in a terminal.

Beans
    Distro

As a last resort, issue the command:

Code:
    > ps -ef |grep username
    where username is the user that submitted the print job. The second field of the ps command, with the ef options, is the process ID. Find the print process in the list and then:

Code:
    > kill -9 PID#

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    ...enter "lprm" in a terminal. Then to check and make sure the jobs are canceled, you can enter "lpstat" in a terminal.
    That's what I used, and it seems to have done the trick. Oddly, there was no feedback of any kind, such as 'print queue empty', or 'print job canceled'. But I'm not complaining. Thanks for your help!!! ...Fred

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by atravnic View Post
    That's what I used, and it seems to have done the trick. Oddly, there was no feedback of any kind, such as 'print queue empty', or 'print job canceled'. But I'm not complaining. Thanks for your help!!! ...Fred
    If the terminal doesn't give an error, then all went well. I am glad it worked.

Cheers,
    uRock