Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big problem, Linux is officially corrupted

Beans

Big problem, Linux is officially corrupted

Well I seemed to have corrupted linux so badly. I can no longer log in. No colors its really bad. All I did was try to get rid of the original problem. PulseAudio. So is there anyway to recover my linux. I really don't want to lose everything and try to remember all of the applications I had installed. Is there something I could do with a live cd or is the a recovery disc? All I need is something to reinstall the basic files. I believe centered on Audio and Display

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Big problem, Linux is officially corrupted

Can you start in recovery mode?
    Then drop to root shell and reinstall the package ubuntu-desktop:

Code:
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You will need to reinstall, but if you use the live cd to copy your installed file /var/cache/apt/archives to an external USB drive , it will help you install whatever you had installed .......... you can also copy your /home folder ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by realzippy View Post
    Can you start in recovery mode?
    Then drop to root shell and reinstall the package ubuntu-desktop:

Code:
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    Thanks that worked but my drivers still seem to be screwy so I think I may do a complete reinstall but save the things I have downloaded like the other post says.

Beans

Ok well I can't seem to install into the partition. It just doesn't work. Everything I try just keeps telling me root file system not selected. So any help with that?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When you go to install, pick the partition and set it as " / " ......... that sets it as root.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kmccmk9 View Post
    Ok well I can't seem to install into the partition. It just doesn't work. Everything I try just keeps telling me root file system not selected. So any help with that?
    Are you in the process of reinstalling? If so, I assume you chose to manually partition your drive; in which case you need to select a partition to be used as the "/" (or root) of the Ubuntu installation. To do this, just double click on the existing (broken) Ubuntu partition, and change the "Use as" field to "/". (You'll have to forgive me if the labels are different, it's been a while since I last used the Ubuntu installer) You may also want to designate a swap partition, though that isn't necessary.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When you go to install, pick the partition and set it as " / " ......... that sets it as root.
    It should be working by default !! inst it ?
    For Ubuntu basics :-> www.linoob.com

Ubuntu User #31222

Beans

should I format the partition? It game me a warning before it did it so I haven't done anything yet.

"The file system on /dev/sdb5 assigned to / has not been marked for formatting. Directories containing system files (/etc, /lib, /usr, /lib ...) that already exist under and defined mountpoint will be deleted during install."

Beans

It's up to you. Making the partition for formatting is less likely to cause problems than not marking it for formatting, but the risk is negligible either way. If you don't mark it, then there's a chance that your /home folder contents will still be there after the installation.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast