Thread: Changing the category of applications [specifically AIR apps]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Changing the category of applications [specifically AIR apps]

When AIR apps are installed, they are ALWAYS placed in the "Accessories" category. That category is filling up quite a bit, and it's getting a bit annoying when searching through the list.

First, is there any way to modify the menu directly to change the categories of specific software?

Second, (and this is likely the wrong forums to ask this in) I am a Flash developer myself, and I may start dabbing in AIR more in the near future. Is their any way to specify the category from AIR? If not, a feature request should be filed on this to Adobe as AIR apps are gaining popularity.

Beans

Re: Changing the category of applications [specifically AIR apps]

Hi, you can do that with right clicking at application, and then choose "edit menus", from there you can drag applications around and uncheck things you don't want to be displaced.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Changing the category of applications [specifically AIR apps]

Awesome! Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

When dragging menu items to their new categories, it seems to duplicate them rather than move them. Is this normal, or a bug? It also seems to really lag and delay when dragging.

Also, just curious, I'm guessing the entire menu is stored as an XML file or something somewhere, right? In case I want to do any manual changes or searches, where is it located?

How do I mark this thread as solved?