Thread: Call to Action

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Call to Action

The Maine LoCo website is down. We don't really have any communication with each other. At risk of speaking out of turn here it seems at this point we're completely stagnant and I'd like to step up and take the reigns here.

I'm writing to 25 Maine-iacs right now. We need to start forming ourselves into a community representing Maine on the Ubuntu map. We need to decide on a way to communicate and perhaps once we do that figure out if we could/should meet in person regularly. I'm going to suggest Facebook for open announcements and Skype for team voice/text/video conferencing as they work very well on all platforms. These are merely suggestions, feel free to let me know what you think. Hope to see some activity here!

Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Call to Action

I say starting here is the best place to start, and take it from there

I just discovered that ubuntumaine.org is lapsed. So I just registered it
    I also can provide the hosting, as I have enough space on a reseller hosting plan I have. I will try to get something basic up soon as I can

I think the forum here is the best place to start getting people together, then we can see where the best venue for further online contact is for us, whether here, the unused mailing list, irc or on our own forum

I have to see about re-establishing admin access to the mailing list, I am already on irc (idling) 24/7

Facebook and skype are good, but I think for virtual meetings, irc is a great choice as the meetings can be logged so those not available can read up on it when they can.

Not everyone is on facebook, or can easily use Skype but they still are great ways to get things going as well

real life meetups obviously depend on location. As most of 'yall in here are from the South, it is very difficult for me up in the hinterlands to physically be there, but I am only one person and am not too worried if I can't be there very often

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

OK, awesome. I've set up the irc and logged in a few times. My attention is not really there so I have some latency in my responses (is there a menu notification?). I work with one Ubuntu user, together we're trying to encourage a few others to use Ubuntu as well. This weekend I'm meeting one from the Maine LoCo at Starbucks so.. progress!

I look forward to someday getting large enough for us to all gather! BTW - I'm in the Portland area if anyone wants to meet for coffee or meet at the Library or something.

Kudos Claydoh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've started logging on the IRC channel in the evenings. It's been pretty quiet so far.

Jeff, I'm already following Ubuntoogle on Facebook, been reading the posts for a while.

I'll be in southern Maine for a bit in the next month or so, just don't know the exact dates, if anyone is looking to meet up let me know.

Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

well as for irc, just jump in and say "hello"! it might wake me up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by claydoh View Post
    well as for irc, just jump in and say "hello"! it might wake me up