Thread: won't run after install "inside" windows xp

Beans

won't run after install "inside" windows xp

I am a new newbie (less than 5 minutes with ubuntu).

I have a Windows XP sp3 machine with generic hardware (AMD chip). I downloaded the 10.04 desktop, burned it onto a cd (on another machine). I put the CD into the running WXP machine and it auto-ran. From the choices, I picked "install inside Windows". It took about 5 minutes to complete. I rebooted immediately on that screen when given the choice. I picked ubuntu from the boot.ini screen

I get the "ESC to select boot options" prompt (I did nothing), then the screen goes blank, the harddisk spins. Nothing happens for at least ten minutes when I finally gave up, rebooted, selected Windows from boot.ini, opened a browser and posted this question.

I apologise if this is answered elsewhere. A simple search of this forum did not find anything that seemed relevant. thanks for any advice.
    Glen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: won't run after install "inside" windows xp

Hi.

Seems like a hardware issue. Which graphics chipset your machine has got? Intel, ATI or NVIDIA?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

First, you should have booted to the Live CD to see whether there were any hardware issues, or issues with the .iso download or burn.

When troubleshooting a problem, always eliminate the simplest things first. Did you check the md5 checksum after download? Did you burn the .iso at as slow a speed as possible to ensure an error-free burn? Try booting to the Live CD Desktop (if you haven't already) to ensure that the problem isn't the fault of the CD itself. That's the easiest possibility to check.

Other than that, most Wubi installations that I've heard of work without a hitch. I have never done a Wubi installation (guess I ought to, for experimentation purposes), but perhaps you should have hit the escape key for the boot options. Why it would go to a blank screen and have the hard drive running I don't know.

At any rate, I would try booting to the Live CD desktop first, to make sure the burn is good and that there are no hardware issues. You also might want to check the md5 checksum. If there are issues with the md5, you might want to try downloading 10.04 again using a torrent from the Ubuntu-supported torrents.
    73 from Glenn - KG5UC "Mungo just pawn in game of Life"
    Bump Thread Post #39000 - How To Partition

Beans

Thanks for the replies. It didn't occur to me that the ubuntu desktop CD itself could be bad. I booted from the CD. I get the red/white dots screen, then nothing. I also have a ubuntu server, which boots directly into the list of choices.

I will download the desktop kit again.
    Glen

Beans

I have downloaded another copy of Desktop and its hashes are correct. I will made another CD (burn as iso) and try again.
    thanks,

Beans

just to let you know that I have successfully installed and run Desktop. I now have to get better monitor resolution, and I see a couple posts on that subject

thanks, again, for your help
    Glen