Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bouncing KDE ball

Beans

Re: bouncing KDE ball

Hi,

I had the same problem. You can get the ball when you put your mouse on the left or right boarder of your desktop. Sometimes the ball only jumps up and down at the boarder and than you can get it. It takes a few minutes but it works.

So good luck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: bouncing KDE ball

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    older version of kde the ball bounced off the screen, it was a buggy ball at the time, could never find it after that.
    LOL! I never had this happen, but would like to see it.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Lightbulb Re: bouncing KDE ball

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    LOL! I never had this happen, but would like to see it.
    Yeah, let me tell you, it gets old real fast

I stupidly clicked on autobounce to see what happened. Kids, do not try this at home. The ball flies around the desktop (btw it does not seem to bounce off the borders with any sort of physical reality) and you can't catch it without difficulty, then if you do, you have to "let go" to click on the 'remove' control, and off it goes again...

This solution worked for me. [I'm on kubuntu 11.04, KDE v4.6]
    The plasma widgets are controlled by a configuration file in
    ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc

Open this file in your text editor of choice (nano, kate, or vi, or whatever), and find the stanza (i.e. segment of the file) with the name BbalL in it (that's a lowercase el followed by an uppercase one. Why the stupid leet naming, huh?).

One line of that stanza will have the line 'autobounce=true'. Change it to 'autobounce=false', and save the file.

Log off from your KDE session, and log back in again. The infernal ball will now be static on your desktop, and you can (with widgets unlocked) click on its remove control and banish it forever.

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I do this for fun sometimes. I set autobounce and try to catch it!

Beans

Talking Re: bouncing KDE ball

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    I do this for fun sometimes. I set autobounce and try to catch it!
    Hmm. Have you considered chewing on a hedgehog? Should be equally fun, I'm guessing!
    <- and equally poor spectator sport

Beans

Yes I thanks alot.!....this is my second day on linux.....i thought i go crazy....it worked but after rebootin kubuntu all my widgets were gone...
    respect

Beans

Thumbs down Re: bouncing KDE ball

i almost comitted suicide over trying to catch that stupid thing from bouncing all over the place...... kids screaming.... dog barking at me... cats on top of the monitor swatting at it... arrrgghhh!!! i'm getting my knife kupo!!

Version 12.10 of ubuntu... ver 9.4.2 kde and STILL NO FEATURE to get rid of that ball any easy way!! who made it??? where does he/she live??? if you know, then can you sell me a gun too??????? I'll have some driving to do....

BTW FUTURE READERS:
    Do what was suggested above, but if you dont want to reboot (my server takes FOREVER to do post and stuff) do it by 'logging off' of your kde session (or "Leave").. when you arrive back at your greeter/login screen, then ALT+SHIFT+F1 to get to a TTY terminal and log in (i did it as root just to make sure i didnt run into permission problems), then edit that file "~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc" as said above (i also set the gravity to 0), then save it under the same name (i use pico (nano), so you can just hit CTRL+O, then CTRL+X) and exit and then logout, press CTRL+F7(usually, sometimes its CTRL+F8 or CTRL+F9, depending on how many TTYS are setup)
    and then proceed normally. The ball will still be there but at least not bouncing (thanks jnorichards saved me from going bald and grey and becoming a murderer)..
    Last edited by osirisgothra; February 4th, 2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: BOUNCY BALL AUTHOR NEEDS TO BE TAUGHT A LESSON... LETS... oh wait nevermind

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ah the bouncing ball.. i put it on one my other deskspaces to have some fun with when im super bored, mine always eventually calms and stops though..
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

This thread should have a warning with it! I read the first post just thoroughly enough to get curious, which means I didn't read about the autobounce part ... which means I ended up in the exact same predicament as the OP.

I was eventually able to catch it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123