Thread: Wireless problems after new install of 10.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wireless problems after new install of 10.04 LTS

I am having wireless network problems with my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop. I am using it at a location in my house that has a Linksys range extender. I have a low signal strength reading. The signal level was near 100% with the other version of 10.04 that I was using. The other version was the result of an upgrade with the Upgrade Manager. After the upgrade I had the disconnection problem others were having. I was able to correct the problem using a fix I found in a post on this forum.
    But I then developed problems using the Upgrade and Package managers. The upgrade did not install a clean lists and sources file.

I then decided that a new clean install of 10.04 was in order. I backed up /home and wiped the disk clean. I reinstalled with an iso from the Ubuntu.com site. I downloaded the iso and burned it to a stick. Now I have a problem with signal strength when I am using the range extender. I cannot, most of the timem, log onto the internet or use my wireless network.

I have a Dell Mini10 laptop that I am using to type this and it is in the exact spot I use the E1505 in. I have a 100% signal level. Just for information when I put the E1505 next to the router downstairs in my den I have a high signal level but not here upstairs.

This leads me to think that after the latest install of 10.04 I may have some software issues on the Inspiron E1505.

Anyone else having the same problem? Does anyone have suggestions on how to solve this latest problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wireless problems after new install of 10.04 LTS

You might want to check and make sure that the WiFi antenna in the lappy are on nice and tight. On the 1505 it's easy enough to check. Google cleaning a Dell 1505 laptop, the guts of it are pretty similar to a 1525 and I end up cleaning the wife's laptop monthly, the wifi antenna though runs up and under the screen hinge and can get pinched thereby pulling the antenna off the wireless card which has happened before to me.

Dust and heat can also cause wireless to turn into a an awful experience so pick up a can of air for good measure.

Don't forget to ground your self btw before touching anything in the lappy.

When is the last time you cleaned the heat sink?