Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 4 support thread: faq, how to install, optimize, customize...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox 4 support thread: faq, how to install, optimize, customize...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite81 View Post
    Wow. Your problem is similar to mine, only waaaaaaaaay more amplified! Based on your previous posts I was testing stuff to see if I could recreate your problem, but I now see that I was going in the complete wrong direction.

A couple questions:

Are you using Firefox 4 from the Mozilla Daily PPA or are you using it independently of your package manager? I prefer to use it independently, that is, directly downloading it and running it from my home folder. This way I get incremental updates. I was just checking out the MD PPA on Launchpad and they've had some build errors, so that could be an issue.

Which Java plugin are you using? OpenJDK or Sun/Oracle? I see you are using the Zotero addon, and it's my understanding that Zotero has problems with OpenJDK. I have also experienced many other OpenJDK problems in the past.

Do you have the profile manager installed? If so, have you tried to recreate your problem using a black profile? (I recommend trying that!)
    Just to let you know, these screenshots illustrate the problem in their worst possible case. For most of the websites I visit, FF4 works quite well and is much more responsive than 3.6. It was just that I discovered that Wordpress shows the problem at its worst and is also replicable, I thought I would post the screenshots to illustrate what sort of problems I'm having.

I am actually using PPA, as I think there is more integration with the DE (I suppose with the firefox-4.0-gnome-support package). As you pointed out, I haven't been receiving updates from the Mozilla PPA due to build failures, but I certainly don't have a broken version installed. (I think Launchpad automatically ignores failed builds.)

I use Sun Java precisely for Zotero reasons. I have both installed but I'm guessing Sun Java is being used? I have no problems with Zotero, though the database was getting a little buggy so I rebuilt it a couple days a go using sqlite dump & vacuum.

Lastly, yes I did try my PPA FF4 with add-ons disabled and also with a fresh profile, and the same issue arises with both. But I don't have this problem with FF3.6 nor Chromium. So it's not the problem with Flash nor Ubuntu, and I'm quite positive that it is FF4 that is the cause of all this.

Hopefully someone has already filed a bug related to this and is being worked on. (I looked for such a bug but couldn't find it - but that may just be cause I don't quite know how to phrase the problem when searching for it)
    Last edited by areteichi; January 25th, 2011 at 02:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite81 View Post
    Are you using Firefox 4 from the Mozilla Daily PPA or are you using it independently of your package manager? I prefer to use it independently, that is, directly downloading it and running it from my home folder. This way I get incremental updates. I was just checking out the MD PPA on Launchpad and they've had some build errors, so that could be an issue.
    You're absolutely right! I gave the independent version (Mozilla's tar.gz version) a try and it didn't have this problem!! Again, I don't think I will use this Mozilla version since it is does not integrate with the rest of the system, but it is certainly great to know that this might just be a temporary issue with the PPA build.

PPA builds have been failing for the past 4 days so I really hope they can give me an update soon (and solve this damn issue!)

Also, Beta 10 just came out: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox.../releasenotes/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Good I'm glad you got it working, as I was otherwise stumped. And Bugzilla isn't the easiest thing to navigate for a mere mortal. Yes, it's true that Launchpad ignores failed builds, but so many failed that I felt it could be indicative of other problems, especially since other related packages didn't fail.

Consequently, I haven't had any more problems on my side, so it looks like they're working out the kinks!
    As for doing good; that is one of the professions which is full. Moreover I have tried it fairly and, strange as it may seem, am satisfied that it does not agree with my constitution.
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Beans
    Distro

Glad to hear you got your problem solved!

Since today's PPA build failed again, I just pulled the Firefox 4 packages from Natty (not recommended!!! - but I still do that sometimes ) and the problems are gone! It's fully integrated into my system now too! (completely replaced FF3.6) Although it's still Beta 9, it's working very well. I'm much more satisfied now.
    Last edited by areteichi; January 26th, 2011 at 04:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I switched back to Minefield because the release candidate is out and I have a question . Where is the location to check to see what plug-ins are activated . I know where installed plug-ins are listed what am looking for is the active plug-ins list as is in Firefox 3.6.XX .
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

So, what happens when FF 4.0 production is released? Does it automatically replace 3.6? Or, do I remove 3.6, then install 4.0 from a repository?

For me, this is somewhat of an academic question, as Chrome has become my default browser, in large part because I'm participating in the Chrome OS pilot program. But it's always good to have an alternative.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by libssd View Post
    So, what happens when FF 4.0 production is released? Does it automatically replace 3.6? Or, do I remove 3.6, then install 4.0 from a repository?

For me, this is somewhat of an academic question, as Chrome has become my default browser, in large part because I'm participating in the Chrome OS pilot program. But it's always good to have an alternative.
    If 4.0 is released released before Ubuntu 11.04 it should be included . I don't know if Ubuntu operating systems that include 3.6.XX will have an upgrade option via the update manager . I have been using the Mozilla daily PPA so I have had development releases for the past year.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I switched back to Minefield because the release candidate is out and I have a question . Where is the location to check to see what plug-ins are activated . I know where installed plug-ins are listed what am looking for is the active plug-ins list as is in Firefox 3.6.XX .
    Tools > Add-ons

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Tools > Add-ons
    That gives me a list of installed and enabled plug-ins as I wrote , It does not show what plug-ins are currently active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    That gives me a list of installed and enabled plug-ins as I wrote , It does not show what plug-ins are currently active.
    Oh, I see. Sorry.

Visit http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

or

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

You can determine which one is active by the version displayed on those pages. However, if you have multiple instances of the same version, then I don't know how to determine the one is active. Keep in mind that the plugin saved under ~/.mozilla/plugins will have precedence over the one installed in the system folder.

BTW, in you question you say you wanted to see the list of activated plugins like in Firefox 3.6, but there is no difference between Firefox 4 and 3.6 for that matter. If you are referring to about:plugins, it only shows the information displayed on Tools > Add-ons in more detail.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; March 9th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast