Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MySQL on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: MySQL on Ubuntu 10.04

I'm running VB from my Laptop - I program using Visual Studio 2010 on XP Pro. But my server that hosts mySQL is linux (I hope - pending this issue is resolved) I've enabled slow query queue but it doesn't seem to catch anything. Is there a setting to set somewhere that give Mysql more system resources? That is what it seems like is the issue. I'm running workbench on my XP laptop and it says the linux memory is about 15% and when I boot my server with XP it stays in the 90% range.

running query from terminal (using putty) takes 0.02 seconds to return the same exact query
    Code:
    SELECT * FROM Credentials WHERE UName ='myuname';
    Last edited by rensell; August 3rd, 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tried some further testing tonight. I created a virtual box VM running Ubuntu Server 10.04 (Hosted on my XP Pro laptop) and my program was quick - like it should be. I did a clean install of server 10.04 on my server box and used the same settings that were used on the VM and it has the same lag as originally. I'm confused as to why Linux is taking such a long time. I've run my code step-by-step and have found that it is the connect command that seems to take a while.

-R

Beans

Hmmm. This is ancient, but possibly relevant:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=10461

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That seems to have fixed my issue. However, workbench still pegs the memory at 37%. I don't want to deploy this is my actually working environment and not be able to handle the work load. Any input on the accuracy of the memory graph of Workbench?

Thanks again everyone - it's always something so simple to fix such "big" issues.

-R

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Some Penguin View Post
    Hmmm. This is ancient, but possibly relevant:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=10461
    Thanks! That actually sped things up a bit for my on my local 10.04 development box. I still don't understand why I can access my remote (by several hundred miles) 8.04 box dramatically faster than I can access my local box from itself (everything is set to run from 127.0.0.1, as my PHP-based CMS seems to need an IP address for the MySQL server), but at least the local box has somewhat tolerable performance now.

Was there some big performance regression from mysql 5.0 to 5.1 (at least in the versions that are installed by default on 8.04 and 10.04)?

I read in another thread something about compiling a custom kernel to get better mysql performance, but that seems a bit extreme to me, particularly for a local development machine that is also used for other things....

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by evstevemd View Post
    Reinstall after removing all config stuffs.
    sudo apt-get purge package_name_goes_here
    Thank you much. This is my first time with MySQL and I immediately had a problem - with the 'root' password. It wasn't my root password that I forgot but the root password for MySQL. I tried reinstalling but it didn't work. Apparently, I had to use purge. Thanks a lot. I was almost ready to stop trying.

This is why I love Ubuntu Forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12