Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu/Mint9LXDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Lubuntu/Mint9LXDE

How about DSL?
    "I don't care if he is 8, I'm putting that kid on a milk carton!" - Anthony Bourdain
    I'm also on Little Big Planetarium.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Dork_42 View Post
    How about DSL?
    Damn Small Linux is one that I've never tried, and it seems to have stalled in 2008 (no new releases since then). Of course, as with Puppy, if it runs everything you need it to already (including your wireless cards and whatever else you intend to use) that probably doesn't matter.

In my case, I don't think the last version of DSL had PCMCIA support, and since my wireless is a PC Card, it probably won't work for me.

Edit: Yes it did! Dagnabbit!

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Verified_Wireless_Cards
    Last edited by Kixtosh; August 10th, 2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Cleaning up my self-inflicted mess!
    Intrepid User of Xubuntu & LXDE on:
    (1) Dell Latitude, CPi R400GT, PII 400 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 66MHz.
    (2) Toshiba Portégé 3490CT, PIII 700 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 100MHz.
    Both using NETGEAR MA521 Wireless PCMCIA (no issues!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi, the Lubuntu 10.10 Schedule. It includes that additional notes as what will happen if Lubuntu 10.10 is not deemed ready for full release status. Time runs really quick, as decisions are taken I'll be sure to update this area.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Tried updating and got this:

Code:
    Failed to fetch cdrom://Lubuntu 10.04 _Lucid Lynx_ - i386 (20100429)/dists/lucid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Failed to fetch cdrom://Lubuntu 10.04 _Lucid Lynx_ - i386 (20100429)/dists/lucid/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz  Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    Never heard of apt-cdrom.I ran the commands followed by the two afformentioned repos and got this both times:

Code:
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    UP THE IRONS!

Beans
    Distro

Use Preferences > Software Sources > Other Software to remove any entries for CDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Go to System > Administration > Software Sources > Ubuntu Software. Do you have the CD-ROM (near the bottom of the window) checked? If so, clear it.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Kixtosh View Post
    Damn Small Linux is one that I've never tried, and it seems to have stalled in 2008 (no new releases since then). Of course, as with Puppy, if it runs everything you need it to already (including your wireless cards and whatever else you intend to use) that probably doesn't matter.

In my case, I don't think the last version of DSL had PCMCIA support, and since my wireless is a PC Card, it probably won't work for me.

Try it. i can't remember if it does support it but when i tried it it was very fast and things were working. I think PCMCIA card worked as i dont' remember that was anything wrong with it (i just didn't like the programmes available)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by h8uthemost View Post

Phil, is there any easy way to create a custom launcher either on the panel of the desktop? I'm wanting to make a launcher for rtorrent. This is one of the only things I miss about Gnome(well that, and minimizing to tray doesn't really work with a lot of apps). I just have to adjust to LXDE since I am so used to Gnome. But all I used to have to do is right-click a panel, his create launcher, the put rtorrent in for the command and the name, and that was it.

I don't see any easy way to create a launcher in LXDE.
    You probably already have some launchers down by the menu button on the panel right? Just right click there and select, application launch bar setting and then add the laucher you want.

If you don't have that already you have to right click and go add/remove panel items and add application launch bar. Then add items to that launch bar as above.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by h8uthemost View Post

Phil, is there any easy way to create a custom launcher either on the panel of the desktop? I'm wanting to make a launcher for rtorrent. This is one of the only things I miss about Gnome(well that, and minimizing to tray doesn't really work with a lot of apps). I just have to adjust to LXDE since I am so used to Gnome. But all I used to have to do is right-click a panel, his create launcher, the put rtorrent in for the command and the name, and that was it.
    Hi, it's not entirely straight forward; but the below example should help you:
    Just open up leafpad and put the following in:

[Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Version=1.0
    Name=Trash
    Name[de]=Mülleimer
    Exec=pcmanfm trash:///
    Icon=emptytrash
    Terminal=false
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;

Save it as trash.desktop on the Desktop. The Desktop should then show a Trash icon.
    Change pcmanfm trash:/// to rtorrent (you may have to put the full path name in). For the Icon, I think the icons are stored at /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32... Have a 'play' and get back to me if you get stuck.
    It is also possible to put them into the menu area, /usr/share/menu has the existing ones, so copying, editing and renaming an existing entry would be another way forward.

Regards,

Phill.
    P.S. you may want to take a look at http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXShortCut also.
    Last edited by phillw; August 10th, 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Kixtosh View Post
    ... I don't think the last version of DSL had PCMCIA support ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    Try it. i can't remember if it does support it but when i tried it it was very fast and things were working. I think PCMCIA card worked as i dont' remember that was anything wrong with it (i just didn't like the programmes available)
    You are quite correct ... and it turns out I was talking through my hat again, as I found out yesterday, although my particular wireless card would require ndiswrapper (the use of which is not currently familiar to me). What remains true is that there haven't been any new releases and the project seems to have fallen on turbulent times.

I'm just not convinced it'll improve anything much, since I already have fast boot times, and decent browsing performance. If Puppy Linux couldn't improve on that, I don't expect DSL could do much either, but I might just give the Live CD a spin at some point, for the sake of discussion.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i...Wireless_Cards

P.S. offending material removed from my original post!
    Intrepid User of Xubuntu & LXDE on:
    (1) Dell Latitude, CPi R400GT, PII 400 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 66MHz.
    (2) Toshiba Portégé 3490CT, PIII 700 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 100MHz.
    Both using NETGEAR MA521 Wireless PCMCIA (no issues!).

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast