Thread: Compiling a custom 64 bit kernel with BFS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Compiling a custom 64 bit kernel with BFS.

Hello forum.

Since I have too much time on my hands, I would like to try and optimize my kernel a bit. Since I am doing this on a fresh install, I don't really care if the os gets bricked in the process, and I am sure I can bring it back if I can boot into a recovery console from the old kernel. So, I followed thispost. I patched it and copied and edited a config file from /boot/, saved it as .config, I tried it several times with both removing and not removing /debian and /debian.master directories from the source, yet I always get the same error when I run "make oldconfig".
    Code:
    $ make oldconfig
    scripts/kconfig/conf -o arch/x86/Kconfig

*** Error during writing of the kernel configuration.

make[1]: *** [oldconfig] Error 1
    make: *** [oldconfig] Error 2
    Will I be able to compile a kernel AND install nvidia's closed source driver ?
    My cpu is AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ non-b.e. (I guess it's a windsor, though I am not sure), I've got 1280 mb of ddr2 ram, asus m2n-sli n560 motherboard and an 8600gt.
    Originally Posted by rugbert
    Are there any plans to make it not suck so hard any time soon?
    ROFL!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Compiling a custom 64 bit kernel with BFS.

Quote Originally Posted by emshains View Post
    Hello forum.

Since I have too much time on my hands, I would like to try and optimize my kernel a bit. Since I am doing this on a fresh install, I don't really care if the os gets bricked in the process, and I am sure I can bring it back if I can boot into a recovery console from the old kernel. So, I followed thispost. I patched it and copied and edited a config file from /boot/, saved it as .config, I tried it several times with both removing and not removing /debian and /debian.master directories from the source, yet I always get the same error when I run "make oldconfig".
    Code:
    $ make oldconfig
    scripts/kconfig/conf -o arch/x86/Kconfig

*** Error during writing of the kernel configuration.

make[1]: *** [oldconfig] Error 1
    make: *** [oldconfig] Error 2
    Will I be able to compile a kernel AND install nvidia's closed source driver ?
    My cpu is AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ non-b.e. (I guess it's a windsor, though I am not sure), I've got 1280 mb of ddr2 ram, asus m2n-sli n560 motherboard and an 8600gt.
    1) Have you got all the necessary packages installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.32 linux-headers-`uname -r` kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot
    2) It's more convenient (especially later) to be root:
    Code:
    sudo /bin/bash
    3) Change to your source directory and run "make oldconfig" etc...

H