Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidewinder X4 Keyboard

Beans

Wink Re: Sidewinder X4 Keyboard

Update: Turns out the issue with tracking the profile changes in the driver is larger than anticipated! We get a fun deathloop after it updates the LED and I'm not familiar enough with debugging at that low of a level to figure out how to resolve it. I'll probably just write a userspace daemon and have udev grant it control over the keyboard to keep track of the profile. That'll also enable the macro-recording (though I'm thinking I'll include a way to disable that for people that just want 18 regular macro keys like I do). =P

Beans

Re: Sidewinder X4 Keyboard

Funny, didn't notice that there were updates since Post #13. Meanwhile I wrote a daemon to catch all the keys, it is called "x4daemon", you find it here: http://geekparadise.de/x4daemon/

But I didn't get the LEDs working, because there are some missing initialisation codes (or something like that) in your usb captures. While searching howto sniff usb devices in Windows 7 I found the updates here, so next version of x4daemon will include working leds, hopefully. But I will seperate them from the banks, because there is no need (for me) to use three keybanks - I want to use them as status leds, for new notifications (email,chat,etc.).

Thx for your great work on capturing those things! =D>

Edit: Still no luck getting the leds to work with libusb. Don't know what I am doing wrong here...
    Last edited by Evilandi666; March 21st, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

Beans

Hi Evilandi !

Thanks for your great works! You're the people who move everything forward. I'm sure, there are more people out there, waiting for a SideWinder X4/X6 (which are btw. very popular keyboards) driver, but either aren't aware of the work already done, or are just to lazy to register here on these forums and thank you !
    As for the USB capture, I had used the trial version of USB Monitor from HHD Software from http://www.hhdsoftware.com/usb-monitor. I tried alot of alternatives on both, Linux and Windows, and USB Monitor seemed to be the most comfortable one. If you want to sniff USB for yourself, you might try that one !

Good luck and keep up the good work !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Tolga, did you get the Roccat Isku to work with ubuntu at a 100%?

Thanks mate.

Beans

Tolga, did you get the Roccat Isku to work with ubuntu at a 100%?
    Sorry, I've never tried it with Ubuntu; I'm using Arch Linux for quite some time now. You need the GUI Tool to configure your macros (Windows Tool, or use roccat-tool from sourceforge.net) - the macros will be executed without the need of a driver. You just need them for configuration.
    For a Linux-only system, you need roccat-tools for proper configuration; the driver modules are already included in the 3.0+ Linux Kernels. I installed the roccat-tools from AUR (which is Arch Linux specific) https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57300. As for Ubuntu, download the source from http://sourceforge.net/projects/rocc.../roccat-tools/, compile and install it.

Good luck,
    Tolga

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joshuafcole View Post
    Heyo! Compiled it with make modules && sudo make modules_install, but it doesnt' seem to be picking up my keyboard! I visually inspected the code and it looks fine. Any ideas? (or notes on what debug information might be helpful?)

Note: The LED indicator lights are not functioning and XEV reports nothing when I press the macro key and S1-6.

Of potential interest:

And more info:
    Loaded the compiled drivers manually via insmod. lsmod looks good now. Unplugged and replugged the device. Got a clean hit in kern.log

But still no interactivity with the special keys. Curious.

And finally,
    I added it to my /etc/modules so it'd be loaded at startup and swapped over to TTY1 to try showkey. Still nothing.
    Just FYI, after installing the modules do "sudo depmod" and the modprobe commands will then work.

Beans

Here's what I've tried on Ubuntu 12.04

I cloned the git repo and did the following:
    Code:
    make modules
    sudo make modules_install
    sudo depmod
    sudo modprobe hid-microsoft-sidewinder-x4

lsmod | grep sidewinder
    hid_microsoft_sidewinder_x4    13110  0 
    hid_microsoft_sidewinder    13582  1 hid_microsoft_sidewinder_x4
    hid                    99559  2 hid_microsoft_sidewinder_x4,usbhid
    Everything looks good and I have sidewinder-x4 in /sys/bus/hid/drivers

Now I add the 90-microsoft-sidewinder-x4.rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d

Here's the content. joshuafcole's post didn't have the full command so maybe I'm missing something?
    Code:
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="hid", DRIVER=="generic-usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="045e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0768",  RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/modprobe hid-microsoft-sidewinder-x4; if test -d /sys/bus/hid/drivers/generic-usb; then /bin/echo -n %k >/sys/bus/hid/drivers/generic-usb/unbind;fi'"
    Now I reboot and the keyboard doesn't work. Remove the udev rule and I'm okay.

Am I missing something? Anyone else have this driver working?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am going to assume that this thread is still running since it isn't closed.

I just purchased this exact keyboard and the audio keys all work. I am currently looking around to see if I can get the macro keys to work. Hopefully I can find a driver already installed or to download to get those to work.
    "Where is the heal-anything blood?"

Beans

I just summarize things those who need to use this useful driver on Linux Kernel 3.8 (Ubuntu 13.04).

Code:
    git clone https://gitorious.org/microsoft-sidewinder-x4
    cd microsoft-siderwinder-x4
    make
    sudo make modules_install
    sudo depmod -a
    Created this udev rule file:
    /etc/udev/rules.d/90-microsoft-sidewinder-x4.rules

Code:
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="hid", DRIVER=="hid-generic", ATTRS{idVendor}=="045e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0768",  RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/modprobe hid-microsoft-sidewinder-x4; if test -d /sys/bus/hid/drivers/hid-generic && test -d /sys/bus/hid/drivers/sidewinder-x4; then /bin/echo -n %k > /sys/bus/hid/drivers/hid-generic/unbind; /bin/echo -n %k > /sys/bus/hid/drivers/sidewinder-x4/bind;fi'"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blueshirt3k View Post
    Code:
    git clone https://gitorious.org/microsoft-sidewinder-x4
    Hello blueshirt,

when i try the command i'll geht the error:

Code:
    Cloning into 'microsoft-sidewinder-x4'... fatal: https://gitorious.org/microsoft-sidewinder-x4/info/refs not found: did you run git update-server-info on the server?
    Do u know howto fix it?

Thx!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast