Thread: Problem with h264enc in 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Problem with h264enc in 10.04

I use the script h264enc (installed from the repos) to encode my dvds into avi and mp4. It was working flawlessly under 9.10, now I get the error that MEncoder doesn't support AAC encoding??!!! I have installed all the restricted drivers and I can play dvds, mp4's, ...whatever. Any idea what to do here?

Thanks.
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problem with h264enc in 10.04

h264enc (and xvidenc and divxenc) get updated quite frequently. Go to

http://opendesktop.org/

and look for the latest version(s) under Multimedia. Installation and uninstallation are very simple. If you go this way, use Synaptic first to uninstall the package.

/luigi

Beans
    Distro

I installed the latest version (via the deb file on the main home page) and still no go with the AAC encoding (the default audio encoding option) here is the error message I got:

$ h264enc -1p -p ehq
    eventually (with all default options) yields:

Code:
    -> MEncoder has exited with a non-zero value!
    -> Exiting in function: mencoder_exit()
    At lease before I updated it used to give more meaningful error.
    Any ideas?

Beans

If you're using the the lucid repo mplayer/mencoder then it depends on the lucid ffmpeg libs where aac encoding has been disabled.
    Easy way would be to get a newer, unencumbered mplayer/mencoder from a ppa, there are many, here's one (from the smplayer dev

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer

(edit Otherwise you could try adding medibuntu repo and updating your ffmpeg libs to their 'extra' versions - a newr mplayer/mencoder is probably better

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Using latest compiled mplayer following andrew's excellent direction is the best way out here, you just need to remove the disable mencoder from the commands.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxforall View Post
    Using latest compiled mplayer following andrew's excellent direction is the best way out here, you just need to remove the disable mencoder from the commands.
    Assuming Andrew = mc4man, will do it as soon I find the time, I'll probably use the PPA.

But when you said remove the old mencoder, do you mean manually from the script?

Another thing, which should probably deserve a big rant thread, was the disabling of the AAC encoding mentioned in the Lucid release notes? Or anywhere?

Beans

Hi Linuxfoall,

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxforall View Post
    You would also need to add a few extra files. Best to follow FakeOutdoorsman's guide for x264 and then the -dev files for faac and lame, this would provide a solid start.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Hi PC_load,

Quote Originally Posted by PC_load_letter View Post
    Assuming Andrew = mc4man...
    No, I am the good looking one

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

No, I am the good looking one
    Undoubtedly - being an impressionable type, you'll always be the guy in your previous avatar to me..
    I'll probably use the PPA.
    The quickest / easiest first step - if you think a newer mplayer/mencoder/x264 build(s) is the way to go then the mentioned how-to's will do you fine - You'll need to change the configure in the mplayer guide and most likely use use a slightly different checkinstall command