Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Welcome to the Laptop Incompatibility List.

The purpose of this thread is for you, the user, to post what laptop combination doesn't work with Ubuntu for you. If you wish, you may post how the laptop works (configuration related), and the steps you took setting it up. These informations will help other users to choose new laptops.

If you see an old warning regarding a particular laptop, bear in mind that the problem might be solved in the present release of Ubuntu.

Everyone is welcome to post here, as long as it is laptop related data. For help with laptop problems, please use the standard procedure of searching the forums, and starting your own thread for assistance if no answer is found.

Give detailed explanations when reporting incompatible laptops including the version of ubuntu you use.

Also do not post any lspci outputs in this thread as they will be removed without question.

If the only problem is that the graphics driver is not considered fast enough please don't post here. Better to post a comment like for example works well for standard office use but not for intense gaming in Laptop Compatibility List.

Please only list
    1) Version Of Ubuntu
    2) Laptop Maker
    3) Laptop Model
    4) Known Issue

*NOTE* This thread is exclusively for the listing of incompatible hardware. Any idle chatter or unrelated posts will be moved/removed accordingly. *NOTE*

Thank you.
    Thread text shamelessy lifted and edited from Frodon's Desktop threads.

Edit - HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks wiki page
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 5th, 2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added link to Compatibility List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

I have a Toshiba L455 with Ubuntu 10.04. The fan control with Ubuntu doesn't work, and none of the Function keys work. Now, I can not hear sound and my microphone will not work. Considering other options now.......
    Oh well.
    Last edited by corrytonapple; September 20th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

1)Version Of Ubuntu: Lucid 10.04
    2)Laptop Maker: Sony
    3)Laptop Model: Vaio X Series (VPCX117LG)
    4)Known Issue: Poulsbo!
    The GMA500 graphics chipset is the only thing that lets this machine down as far as Ubuntu goes. It's a pain to get it to work with the various methods of installing poulsbo drivers out there, and when you do get it to work, the performance is very, poor.
    I converted my whole office to Ubuntu.... and everyone loves me for it!

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 with latest updates
    Apple Macbook 2,1

Issues:

Installation:
    TTY shows up at end of installation with a slew of "cannot access device" errors after ejecting the CD

Hardware:
    - no sound even though the device is installed and no errors are reported
    - video support breaks when using multiple monitors in horizontal (size-by-side) configuration
    - external monitor flickers when at 1920x1200 when the built-in monitor is turned off
    - Logitech MX440 mouse buttons not configurable

Shutdown:
    - shutdown graphics shows at corner of monitor instead of filling the entire monitor like the startup graphics

Software:
    - constant password prompts to install userspace applications
    - ability to mount fuse filesystems in userspace, but no ability to unmount them afterwards without root privileges
    - no GUI for NFS mounts
    - no GUI for mouse button configuration

Miscellaneous:
    - the user interface is frighteningly clunky. I'm saying this as someone who spends most of his time at the command line.
    - no integration between different interface elements.
    - no consistency in keyboard shortcuts
    - The default theme is square, dark, and unfriendly
    - menus are cluttered and unorganized.

Beans

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1135 and neither the fan nor the built in mousepad are working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lucid 10.04
    Dell
    Inspiron 1564
    Issue: My model of Dell Inspiron 1564 uses the onboard GPU (Intel) built into the same chip as the CPU (Intel Core i3 CPU). The video chip is not supported in kernels 2.6.32(all) or earlier. 2.6.33 and later work fine. This is the case for any distro, not Ubuntu-specific.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1) Ubuntu 8.04LTS, 10.04LTS
    2) Acer
    3) Aspire AS5051

Does not work, ACPI issue (Mainboard in the notebook is Foxconn). With acpi=off the system is able to boot but then you cannot use: miniPCI, PCMCIA slot, onbaord ethernet, onboard audio, onboard modem. Basically, without acpi the system is useless and with acpi it cannot boot.

10.04 does manage to boot and install but the graphics does not work properly due to bugs in the fglrx module with the ATi Xpress 200M chipsets. Audio doesn't seem to work (Realtek HD-audio chip, don't remember exact version cannot verify, laptop is now broken).

Beans

Acer Aspire 5738PG-6306
    Ubuntu 10.4

1) Touchpad does not work without using the following commands:
    sudo modprobe -r psmouse
    sudo modprobe se proto=imps

If the button to turn of the touchpad is pressed then a reboot is required to get the modprobe to work again.

2) No multi-touch in the Touchpad. I read there are fixes for this and I will be trying them.

3) Dual Touchscreen monitor does not work apparently at all.

4) Bluetooth not detected.
    Last edited by spencerthayer; August 17th, 2010 at 03:10 PM.

Beans

Alienware M15x (configured with i5-540m and gtx 260m) running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS

Most to least critical:

1. No fan control (fan seems to always run at lowest setting)
    2. No CPU temperature readings
    3. No sensors apart from Nvidia and SMART temperatures

"sensors-detect" finds nothing, there really should be basic support for my CPU and chipset.

The kernel does find some cooling devices, but "/proc/acpi/fan" is empty (dmesg output):

Code:
    [    0.711573] processor LNXCPU:00: registered as cooling_device0
    [    0.715086] processor LNXCPU:01: registered as cooling_device1
    [    0.717449] processor LNXCPU:02: registered as cooling_device2
    [    0.723684] processor LNXCPU:03: registered as cooling_device3
    [    1.165893] acpi device:07: registered as cooling_device4
    Last edited by mdog; August 19th, 2010 at 04:27 AM.

Beans

ASUS K50IJ - BBZ5 (Best Buy version)
    Specs: http://www.notebookshopper.net/asus-k50ij-bbz5.html
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit version

Overall: Zippy and very cheap dual core with a few tiny little issues. Wish I didn't have to dual boot to have proper speaker/headset sound management.

Issues:

Installation:

CON: On LIVE CD I was not able to resolve sound issue. Plug in headset, sound in headset. Adjust volume, and all of a sudden sound on computer AND headset. With this model, I found all sorts of "fixes" that eventually left me with a low non-stop buzzing sound. So instead of install on entire disk, installed dual boot, ran updates, back to no headset AND speaker sound. Dumb sound better than no sound. I watch netflix on win7 anyway.

PRO: On dual boot this one is very nice because no need to create extended partition, Win7 only takes up 2 partitions as opposed to some other MFR's that suck up 4 partitions.. Very little hassle, and Win7 partition was easily modified to 60 Gb and the rest of that unallocated space went to Ubuntu and swap file which was done automatically through setup process.

Video:

For some reason, randomly, the screen flashes garbage for a split second. No particular encumbrance and it only happens randomly. Not sure why and not enough of a bother to try to "fix" (see above).

Touch pad:

When selecting System > Preferences > Mouse (because no "touchpad" option, of course) there is no Touch Pad tab as there should be with this installation (as opposed to other laptops). This tab would grant one the opportunity to "shut off" the touchpad while typing and also give you the opportunity to do vertical and horizontal scrolling, which, at this time, I am unable to do.

The touch pad is INCREDIBLY sensitive and typing with wrists or shirt cuffs leaning close to touch pad causes the mouse to jump the cursor all over the screen, particularly in places not meant. Keep eyes open and type with wrists up further than normal to prevent this, particularly if you type fast.

Function Keys:

The function keys are hit or miss. They all work perfectly in win7, not in ubuntu 10.04. If, for example, I choose to increase volume on speaker, that's FN+F12. Doesn't work. Neither does the screen contrast change, exactly. If you FN+F5 or FN+F6 for more than a few seconds, it randomly tries to adjust the screen for several minutes. Several long minutes until you reboot. Weird. FN+F7 (monitor shutoff) works fine unless you tried to adjust the contrast. The FN+F9 (shut off touchpad) doesn't appear to work (but it could be because I tried messing with contrast buttons.

Other things:

Battery, fan, wireless networking, all worked out of the box perfectly with no issue. This system never gets hot and works with battery for hours with no hassle.

If anyone at all has this specific model and has PERSONALLY resolved these specific issues, I would be extremely happy to know about it and post the results of such specific results in an applicable forum.

Thanks!!!

- Nate

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast