Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

Version: 12.04LTS
    Laptop: HP Compaq nc6220
    Issue: Will not suspend according to power management settings. Power management worked well for this unit with versions 10.04LTS and 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Dell Latitude D800 with Nvidia Geforce4 4200 32Mb video card [NV28]

Lubuntu 12.04 installs but Nouveau driver is not compatible with video card because of xorg. Desktop background is OK, but pointer is scrambled and difficult to see.

Nvidia 96 driver has not yet been updated for 12.04.

EDIT: downgraded to previous xorg version to use Nvidia 96 driver. Everything working so far. Needed Lubuntu for non-PAE kernel.
    Last edited by MoebusNet; May 19th, 2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: update nvidia driver usage
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Acer Aspire 5040

Wifi cannot be activated in Ubuntu 12.04. Hardware switch doesn't work and rfkill ublock won't activate wifi

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04
    HP Pavilion tx2000

There are four buttons on the face of the screen bezel; only two actually produce usable input events, or really, any input events at all. The other two may as well not exist.

Wifi and Bluetooth are on the same chip. Disabling one will automatically disable the other. Ubuntu doesn't seem to handle this very well; you may have to play around with rfkill from time to time if you turn them on/off often.

Mute button is supposed to turn orange when audio is muted. Under Ubuntu, pressing the button will mute/unmute audio as it's supposed to but the light remains blue at all times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Acer Aspire 4745G. Synaptics Touchpad doesn't work, screen brightness resets to max every time I reboot.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Update : now my Synaptics Touchpad work fine now though it's mystery solved.
    Last edited by Kreaninw; May 5th, 2012 at 08:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
    Version: 12.04LTS
    Laptop: HP Compaq nc6220
    Issue: Will not suspend according to power management settings. Power management worked well for this unit with versions 10.04LTS and 10.10.
    Forgot to add the Synaptics touch pad rarely keeps the pointer stationary. Again, this is a new development with 12.04LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

1)Version Of Ubuntu = 10.04x86, 12.04x86
    2)Laptop Maker = Dell
    3)Laptop Model = Inspiron 700m
    4)Known Issue = Older Intel graphics chipset not supported out of the box on both versions, PAE support required by 12.04

Solution:

Graphics issue -

The Inspiron 700m has an older integrated Intel 8xx chipset. This results in a black screen after booting up - no desktop and no console.

When using the LiveCD - hit F6, ESC, then add: i915.modeset=1 then hit [enter] to boot.
    To make this change permanent, you need to edit grub per here: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/...up-workaround/

PAE issue -

12.04 installs a PAE kernel by default. The Inspiron 700m does not support PAE (it only has a 2GiB capacity anyway) and thus otherwise you can't install Ubuntu newer than 11.10.

Use Xubuntu, Lubuntu (which both come with the non-PAE kernel by default) or the mini.iso of Ubuntu to install the non-PAE kernel.

Instructions for using the mini.iso with download link are here: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-t...n-non-pae.html

Beans
    Distro

1)Version Of Ubuntu = 10.04x86
    2)Laptop Maker = Dell
    3)Laptop Model = Lattitude D505
    4)Known Issue = Older Intel graphics chipset not supported out of the box

Solution:

The Lattitude D505 has an older integrated Intel 8xx chipset. This results in a black screen after booting up - no desktop and no console.

When using the LiveCD - hit F6, ESC, then add: i915.modeset=1 then hit [enter] to boot.
    To make this change permanent, you need to edit grub per here: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/...up-workaround/

Beans
    Distro

1)Version Of Ubuntu = 10.04x86
    2)Laptop Maker = Compaq
    3)Laptop Model = Presario 1270
    4)Known Issue = CPU lacks CMOV instruction

The Presario 1270 has an AMD K6 processor which lacks the CMOV instruction that is required by Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu. Thus it will not install - period. (the installer reports this and then terminates)

Perhaps older versions before 10.04 may work - none were tried.

The only tested distros to install on this machine so far have been Debian Squeeze LXDE, TinyCore, and Classic Puppy. (2.x series) Debian Squeeze is slow, but stable. The other two are very spry and snappy but quite buggy.

(also tried but failed were Linux Mint 10 LXDE and XFCE)

Beans

Hi I have ASUS 1215b AMD E450 laptop and I cant install Ubuntu, Kbuntu, Lubuntu on it. But Xbuntu works.
    Problem is with grub or something like that. Systems load fine on hard drive but at end of installation crashes, so it cant properly set up boot loader. This happens on 64bit systems.
    I have the same problems with Cinnamon 64-bit from Linux MINT but then I trayed Cinamon 32-bit version and it works fine.

Also on all 4 systems I cant log in wireless network at our school.
    On this page (http://www.arnes.si/pomoc-uporabniko...-mandriva.html) are connection settings for my school but they don't work. They were working fine with older versions of Ubuntu 10.04 (I haven't test this on 32bit version yet)
    Last edited by e450; May 19th, 2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: I fund out that 32bit wersion works fine.

Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast