Type notebook
    DE ubuntu:GNOME (Wayland) - GDM

Laptop: MSI GX60 3CC
    CPU: AMD A10 5750M
    IGPU: 8650G
    DGPU: HD8970M
    BIOS: Unlocked K16SOM

Sorry im new to ubuntu etc but i spent 10hrs getting this to work
    So login freezes etc as soonas any gfx rendering is required, sometimes on login or afew secs after logging in basically gpu drivers dont work.
    Can login with nomodeset but thats not a fix.

So the best distro I found that works right out of the box is Kali with KDE plasma, but its still very glitchy
    So i went ubuntu where all my dramas start. Hours and hours of researching and trying out various repositories, bios settings, i ended up installing things over the network with terminal recovery. You need to use NetworkManager and setup a conf with your ssid and psk.

First i did a lot of testing with the BIOS and found these to work the best.
    IGPU
    Mode = auto (This crashes)
    Powerplan = Perfornance

DGPU
    Mode = Power Express (This needs to be on for it to be active crashes)
    Dynamic mode = Disabled (This crashes)
    Backlight ctrl = VBIOS (Also crashes when it isnt)

_OHC to PCI0 = Enabled (Not sure why but enabling this causes laptop to take 5mins to boot bios, but taking battery out and charger out, holding the power button for 30secs fixes this)

Fast boot = Disabled
    Secure boot = Disabled

Ive tried disabling these features one by one and they crash.

now your grub should reflect what gpu etc you run im on the AMD A10 APU 8650G and HD8970M
    No idea what that means but i just switched between 1s n 0s until it was stable
    Your grub needs to add these in like below radeon/amdgpu whether it be 1 or 0 idk at this stage you still dont have drivers installed even tho doing lshw or lspci or w/e says radeon. You cant sudo atp update xorg or ppa w/e cause apparently no file found. So mesa, Vulkan etc isnt there. Trying to install propietry for amd didnt work either. ./amdgpu-install wasnt found blah blah. But what did worked was doing this in this order and it sent me the amdgpu fg86x what evers i needed.

I dont know, i thought i'd add it here incase someone wanted to add it somewhere for the fix or install guide, i went through kernals and hw-probes, there were only 3 other laptops running with working gpu, kinda sucks you cant communicate with them. hw-probe should have a feature where you can msg or atleast ping the person for driver sources etc

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ernstp/mesarc
    sudo apt-get update
    Sudo apt upgrade
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hiddenGRUB_TIMEOU T=0GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash radeon.si_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=0"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""GRUB_CMD LINE_LINUX=""

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

****update instaslled kde plasma and now everything is broken, the initial brokeness i remember was after changing login screen.
    *****Update disabled gpu special features and enabled dynamic switching, has fixed it but trying unigine bench mark the gpu seems to be doing nothing
    Last edited by genukie; April 14th, 2021 at 11:38 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by genukie View Post
    ****update instaslled kde plasma and now everything is broken, the initial brokeness i remember was after changing login screen.
    *****Update disabled gpu special features and enabled dynamic switching, has fixed it but trying unigine bench mark the gpu seems to be doing nothing
    To be honest, it is quite rare that the gpu don't do anything once you try to unigine the bench mark.

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List. Dell XPS 13 9305

Dell XPS 13 9305 (i7), which I understand to be internally identical to the 'supported' XPS 13 9310 other than the screen dimensions (16x9 rather than 16x10 for the 9310).

Have tried installing both 20.04 LTS and 21.04 (full install, not dual boot), with LVM and full disk encryption with Secure Boot enabled. In either case, everything appears to work fine apart from the Goodix fingerprint reader - no fingerprint authentication option is available under Users. I knew these devices were problematic under linux but I had hoped this machine would be compatible.

lsusb lists it as: ID 27c6:5335 Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co.,Ltd. Goodix Fingerprint Device

fprintd-enroll gives the following error: Impossible to enroll: GDBuss.Error:net.reactivated.Fprint.Error.NoSuchDe vice: No devices available

Procedures tried without success:

a) fingerprint authentication option ticked in pam-auth-update
    b) tried adding somerville libraries and installing drivers according to the Dell forum post by DanielNTX: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/X...x/td-p/7514958
    c) tried adding somerville libraries and installing drivers according to this post: https://mrcoffee.io/blog/setting-up-...0-and-dell-xps
    d) tried adding the Modalias usb:v27C6p5335* to a modified version of the libfprint-2-tod1-goodix debian package referenced in the links above, and then repackaging and reinstalling - FYI the stock version of this package contains the following specific Modaliases: hwe(usb:v27C6p533C*, usb:v27C6p538C*, usb:v27C6p530C*, usb:v27C6p5840*)

I'm unclear whether the problem is:

a) No suitable drivers are available for Ubuntu and the exercise is futile?
    b) The device is compatible but I'm installing the wrong drivers?
    c) I'm installing the correct drivers but have not signed them properly for operation under Secure Boot?
    d) There's some other installation or configuration procedure I'm missing?

Other Observations:

1) The machine's TPM2 device does seem to be recognised and operating correctly. I understand it is possible to store the disk encryption key in the TPM to avoid having to enter it on each boot, but it appears to be an inordinately complicated and risky procedure (https://run.tournament.org.il/ubuntu...d-system-disk/ c.f. on Windows Bitlocker it's largely transparent to the end user). I have succeeded in getting this to work based on this unofficial link, but it would be great if Canonical could publish a definitive procedure for this.
    2) The MOKManager blue screen key enrollment process on first installation rather threw me, as this doesn't appear to be covered anywhere in the standard Canonical installation wiki (though it is referenced in the technical literature). The "Enrol key" option prompts you for a password without clarifying which password is required. I tried entering the user password, disk encryption password and recovery key but none of these worked. Eventually by ploughing through the forums I discovered that this is actually expecting the root password. Once I'd set the root password in 'Try Ubuntu' mode, I was able to proceed with the installation and enrol the assigned Secure Boot MOK key successfully, but it was a needlessly painful process. Again, it would be useful if the standard installation wikis could cover this.

So close, but no cigar. I'd happily pay money for a fully compatible and supported dist of Ubuntu as in all other respects it's fantastic.
    Last edited by steve949; May 14th, 2021 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add link to TPM2 encryption key procedure

Beans

Chuwi gemibook

Ubuntu kernel 5.11.0-16-generic work, lattest frozen laptop

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List. 2022 Spectre x360, 13.5", Core i7

Ubuntu 22.04 has numerous issues with the 2022 Spectre x360, 13.5", Core i7 (tested October 2022):
    • Lid open/close and screen orientation events put it into airplane mode. This thread points to some tips that reduce the issue: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1426...itches-orienta
    • The laptop even boots into airplane mode, probably due to the power-up-on-lid-open event. I was able to fix that with a startup script turning of airplane mode:
      nmcli radio all on
    • There are suspend/hibernate problems when closing and opening the lid: https://www.reddit.com/r/spectrex360/comments/wyjix5/linux_ubuntu_problems_on_new_14_spectre/. Using xorg seems to solve it.
    • Wayland does not detect screen rotation events - use xorg.
    • The camera would not work with cheese or zoom. I think it may be common to the new "Windows Hello" compatible camera systems - the new Yoga 9i camera(s) also didn't work.

I had been hoping for better results, since my old Spectre x360 13-w063nr works well with 18.04. Guess I'll keep "old faithful" a bit longer, update the OS to 22.04, and keep hunting for a Linux compatible 13" 2-in1 with a similar performance i7.

Beans

1) Ubuntu 22.10
    2) HP
    3) Envy x360 eu0009nv
    4) The device is a 2 in 1 but has a hard time telling when its in tablet mode(used to enable autorotation of the display on desktops like KDE)
    In addition to that this device comes with a peripheral stylus, (ELAN 04F3:29F5 ) which always reports itself with 1% battery when it shouldn't even report it at all.
    Other than that you will have a hard time doing a right click with both the touchscreen and touchpad but it is possible(although i do not think it should be that hard)

Beans

Exclamation Re: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

I have an Avita Essential Notebook PC. I have installed ubuntu KDE plasma in it and I don't get any sound. I also have Windows 10 OS installed in it and the sound works just fine when I run my PC with that. My Ubuntu is updated and I have tried some solutions taken from google but with no avail. The audio device is Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor High Definition Audio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

I have a similar problem with my DELL Precision 7720. Sound always works with Win 11 Pro. Sound sometimes works with Ubuntu 22.10. Pulse Audio Volume shows sound ia coming from streaming internet radio on Firefox, but often there is no sound from built-in speakers. Sometimes rebooting will get sound, but other times, rebooting will not give sound.

John

Beans

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 3 11ADA05
    CPU: AMD Athlon Silver 3050e
    IGPU: AMD Radeon Vega
    BIOS: FPCN21WW

Can boot into the Ubuntu installer and fully complete the install with erase disk but on reboot get nothing more than a black screen. This laptop has a very buggy UEFI boot system (secure boot off and tried everything else) and does not automatically boot Ubuntu or has some kind of problem with it.

Curiously Kubuntu had the same fate but Lubuntu did not, this correctly booted, once on Lubuntu desktop I also discovered that the built in mouse/touchpad doesn't work, but everything else seems to. After a lot of experimentation I noticed there were a number of EFI boot entries more than the screen could even display, cleaning these out is dangerous and can render laptop bricked if not careful, there is definitely something wrong with how the bios/UEFI manages the boot order of OS.

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast