Thread: Cannot burn anything to DVD. Could use some help, possible driver issue?

Beans

Cannot burn anything to DVD. Could use some help, possible driver issue?

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu as a laptop OS. I'm a long-time developer and user/admin of linux servers.

I've recentlly installed 16.04 on my laptop. Most things work well but I cannot seem to use my DVD writer. It might legitimately be the case that I simply don't know how to use the UI well. I've worked in Linux flavors for years but always command-line. This is my first experience using the desktop environment.

However, I'm pretty sure I'm "doing it right" and something just seems off. When I right-click on the ISO I'm trying to burn (windows 10) I don't see a "write to disk" option. I've opened the disk creator but still just can't seem to get it.

Possibly related - I'm also running Virtual Box. I've tried to mount the .iso to the listed optical drive but I get an error with that also.

Can anyone offer advice on how to begin/proceed to troubleshoot?

Thank you in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Cannot burn anything to DVD. Could use some help, possible driver issue?

If you are using Brasero* I have never had much luck with it. Try installing K3B, it does have more dependencies because it's a Kubuntu utility but it's always worked for me. To create a bootable disc select "Burn Disc Image" from the menu.

*Brasero is the default Ubuntu disc burner

Beans

Re: Cannot burn anything to DVD. Could use some help, possible driver issue?

This comment was helpful, thank you. K3B is a much nicer tool and helped me identify I had a bad file. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.