Page 177 of 184 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 1834

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Ubuntu 18.04
    Dell
    Latitude E7250

Works flawlessly. Battery life isn't great (about 4 hrs). Could be the FHD touchscreen or the non-OEM replacement battery.

&wP*!) is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

1. Dell E7440, rest of the details in my signature.
    2. all versions since 18.04 worked. HDMI, camera all worked. Disabled Bluetooth. SecureBoot worked.

General advice for laptop users: Keep your BIOS firmware and OS up-to-date. Use UEFI. Usage of rEFInd to combine several OS is tricky. Use separate GRUB config files for each distro, don't use one for all, because everytime when a kernel is updated, GRUB must be modified in that distro which will be inconsistent in the other(s).

The only thing which has not been tested is TPM.

To get maximum performance from a laptop with SSD like and increase its hardware life time:
    • use lightweight distro (Lubuntu)
    • reduce swap usage by adding vm.swappiness=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf
    • uninstall as many programs as possible
    • Almost all of the systemd services are needed - no chance there
    • Keep cron, anacron, postfix running
    • Disable harddisk cache, enable memory cache for Firefox - this will reduce continous SSD activity
    • You can use tmpfs (RAMDISK) for any purpose!
    • Check your dmesg and /var/log/syslog from time to time. There might be chance to uninstall or configure a package to fix or speed up.
    • For ordinary personal usage of laptop at home: Remove discard attribute from btrfs partitions in /etc/fstab - this solution disables continuous trimming for SSD. There is a periodic trim done by fstrim.timer in systemd anyway.
    Last edited by &wP*!); May 23rd, 2020 at 01:13 PM. Reason: updated for 20.04

Beans

Acer Nitro 5 works very well in Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Ubuntu / gnome untested but should probably work.

The tested AN5 computer is the AN515-52 variant with:
    - Nvidia NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] (rev a1)
    - VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 3e9b (driver: i915)
    - Intel CPU i7-8750H
    - Bios version V1.24

Note that it is an UEFI boot only computer (no legacy bios available).

During live USB booting you have to specify "nomodeset" as kernel option, or it will freeze when you click on "Try Kubuntu". Untested if the "Install Kubuntu" option would work without nomodeset.

Suspend to ram will not work (i.e. unsuspend will freeze) in live USB but will work after installation when you will have installed all the proprietary drivers.

During installation of kubuntu 18.04 I chose the following options:
    - Which applications would you like to start with --> Normal installation
    - Download updates while installing kubuntu --> yes
    - Install third party software for graphics and wi-fi hardware and additional media formats --> yes

After installation, the suspend/unsuspend works, however when in nVidia mode (as opposed to Nvidia Prime set in Intel mode) after unsuspend the icons in the plasma desktop will have the name unreadable due to graphic glitches: select all of them and drag them away by a few pixels and drop them to make them refresh and become readable again. Icons inside Dolphin and other applications are fine. The problem does not occur if you use Intel graphics (via nVidia Prime).

Overall an excellent computer, silent and powerful, which works great with Ubuntu.
    Last edited by phelps321; June 27th, 2019 at 01:38 PM.

Beans

Overall compatibility is OK, 19.04 on Lenovo Yoga 520 (i5, 8GB, UK keyboard, touch screen), but chromium works poorly with many tabs and some keyboard shortcuts don't work when keys are remapped.

19.04 installs fine.
    - Gnome shell extension "Block Caribou" to stop virtual keyboard popping up.
    - Chromium causes system to run very slowly and become unresponsive when too many tabs are open.
    - When the Alt/Win/Ctrl keys are remapped, fn-ctrl-PgUp no longer switches tabs in Chromium
    - Wifi adaptor not found after sleep (once in a week of use)
    - Failed to suspend over night (once in a week of use)

Issue with dead zone on touch screen, where left and bottom corner are unresponsive to clicks (though the zone can be dragged through). Likely to be hardware fault?

Battery life perhaps around 5 hours with just Chromium running.

Beans

Dell XPS 2019, UHD touch screen, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB disk. 19.04 installs fine.

Fresh install - might have to update this after testing.
    - laptop doesn't suspend
    - fan tends to be on
    - around 2 hours of battery life (according to battery meter), with only light load (few tabs in chromium)

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

- Lubuntu 19.04
    - HP/Compaq 6910p 120 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, Intel Core2 duo.
    Install is heavy due to TPM issues.
    After first boot, edit /etc/default/grub from FeatherPad using "Tool>Open as root" and change the existing line to:
    GRUB CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=SVIDEO-1:d"

Then all is well.

Beans

Post Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Hi,
    I'm new to Ubuntu and am looking to install it on a laptop that is currently running Windows 10. I'd like to have a dual boot installation. I want to find out if my laptop hardware is compatible with Ubuntu, I did do a search in the forum for my laptop model and didn't get any results. Here are the details:
    Laptop Model: HP Pavilion dv7-4285dx Entertainment Notebook
    Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU M460 @ 2.53 Ghz
    System Memory: 6 GB
    Slot1: 4 GB Hynix 1067 MHz
    Slot2: 2GB ELPIDA 1067 MHz
    System Board: 163D 65.38

Video: Graphic Device 1: AMD Radeon HD 6300M Series Version 15.201.1151.1008 (11/04/2015)
    Graphic Device 2: Intel HD Graphics Version 8.15.10.2900 (11/26/2012)

Audio: High Definition Audio Device Driver: HdAudio.sys Version 10.0.17763.1

Please let me know if this laptop will run Ubuntu and if there might be any issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sony Vaio

I have an old Sony Vaio VGN-CR510E, and I've run Xubuntu on it for years now. Starting with 18.04 it's refused to boot properly: it takes a full 4 minutes to come to the Desktop, and then it's messed up: keyboard commands don't work and the Taskbar (the Panel at the bottom) is missing. To fix it I have to drop out of the GUI and execute rm -rf ~./cache and reboot. It then takes another 4 minutes to come up. An 8-9 minute bootup on a machine with an SSD is unacceptable. So I've dropped back to 17.10, which boots successfully in a minute and a half. Hopefully 19.10 works better.

Beans

Dell, Inspiron 1545 , upgraded T9300 processor and added maximum ,cheap, RAM banks to 4Gb.

Out of the box 18.04 (beginning days of the LTS release) but had no sound on the internal speakers; not solvable via pavucontrol, alsamixer or anything. Solution for that:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf 

go to the bottom of that file and add the following follewed by a save of the file:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=generic

reboot and done.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

IBM Thinkpad Z60m

IBM Thinkpad Z60m with the following hardware:

Code:
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
    1GiB System Memory
    Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection
    Everything works right away using a 32 bit Lubuntu 18.04.3 installed from USB. Slow but useable.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 177 of 184 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 ... LastLast