Thread: Ubuntu - recommended available antivirus & malware software

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ubuntu - recommended available antivirus & malware software

I use Bitwarden and Bitdefender for password management and antivirus when using the 'other software'. When using Ubuntu I do not have a replacement at reasonable cost for Bitdefender. The company offer a business version for servers 1 - 100 but this does not apply to me. Bitwarden works across both OS.

Can anyone recommend suitable software for Linux?

I have UFW installed and set up as Home use with GUFW.
    Last edited by makem2; January 31st, 2024 at 12:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu - recommended available antivirus & malware software

The only reason to run AV on Linux is if you are legally required to do so. For example, my professional Errors and Omissions insurance mandated that I run "industry standard", current, AV software on fully patched OSes using supported versions of all software. This insurance was required by a client. When I fired that client, I didn't need the insurance any more.

On Linux, the default AV software is ClamAV. You can pay others for theirs, if you like, but it won't be any better. AV on Unix is next to useless. It isn't like you are using root or running with elevated privileges all the time. If you are, don't.

Go read the sticky posts at the top of the "Security" sub-forum here. Do the Basic Ubuntu Security things in those posts and in the links they have.