Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

1.Ubuntu 12.04
    2.Acer Aspire 5733

Beans

1)Version Of Ubuntu: Precise 12.04 64 bit
    2)Laptop Maker: HP
    3)Laptop Model: Pavilion DV6-6c35dx with Beats Audio

Worked pretty much out of the box. Just had to install correct drivers for the wireless card which kept losing signal...I don't remember the exact model but its a Realtek.

Only problems I haven't solved yet is the fingerprint reader...this particular model not covered by the frprint fix...and the speakers...only the 2 rear speakers work, not the front 2.

Everything else is up and running and I couldn't be happier as this is my first Linux/Ubuntu machine and everything transitioned smoothly.

Beans

Version: Precise Pangolin 12.04 64-bit
    Maker: HP
    Model: Pavilion DV4 T-1600

Everything works out of the box and near perfectly since i first installed Ubuntu 10.04. Speakers sound better, louder than they do on windows.
    Never needed to install any driver for anything other than for HDMI. HDMI port requires configuration for which ubuntu automatically detects my nvidia graphics card and suggests drivers and updates.

Problems:
    I use wireless bluetooth headphones, they work fine, but occasionally i have to go to the sound settings and change the output device manually. Also, occasionally, for whatever reason the new sound output device gets automatically muted when connected and i have to unmute manually.

The media remote doesnt work, for obvious reasons. Only the volume keys work on the remote. If it could work, the laptop would make perfect machine for HTPC with XBMC installed..

Beans

1) Ubuntu 12.04 (KDE-Desktop)
    2) MSI
    3) MSI GT60R - i7815W7H (Model No. MS-16F3)

not working parts:
    - NetworkCard Killer E2200, but got it working fine with:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2008332

- Keyboard backlight, what hurts me personaly, because it was a feature i was looking forward to ... and didn´t expect it to not work ... somthing "simple" like a backlight but right now there is no possibility to make it work). The keyboard is only usable with the windows software ( you can change the color of the backlight and bring some "Effects" to the keyboard) .... but there is no way to even just switch any light on with a key-shortcut (FN-Keys).
    Asking MSI to help -> no Ubuntu Support - WE sell it with W7 - Ubuntu is your Problem, good day!
    Last edited by luxexcudo; September 5th, 2012 at 08:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by MrMups View Post
    Dell XPS 15
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    Everything works, need to use Bumblebee to get Nvidia card to work.
    Could you share what model number the DEll XPS 15 is. I'm currently looking for a development laptop (I do Android and Drupal development).

Trying to get up to speed on the AMD, NVidia, Intel graphics choices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1) Ubuntu 12.04 LTS w/ 3.4 Kernel
    2) Lenovo
    3) Thinkpad T530 (dual core i7, Intel wireless, Intel graphics)

Well, after installing the 3.4 kernel and a few packages (for the Thinkpad specific keyboard shortcuts), I've got my installation working pretty much perfectly. All the function keys work, brightness control, keyboard volume keys, etc...

Only thing I haven't got working yet is the smartcard reader and fingerprint sensor - the smartcard reader should be doable but from what I've heard the driver for the fingerprint sensor hasn't been cracked yet...

Beans

Wink Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Acer Aspire 3690 and it works like smiles and sunshine on my face everytime I start up my computer. (ahum, laptop)

Really no problems till so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

1) Ubuntu 12.04 Precise pangolin 64-bit
    2)Acer
    3) Aspire 5745G

there have been some minor problems with the touchpad, but they seem to be gone now, also, it should be noted that for the nVidia card to be properly working the graphics switching should be disabled in BIOS. (i have no idea whether Bumblebee works on this computer as i haven't bothered trying it)
    "We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds." -Linus Thorvalds
    "I our department, we can do anything! ... There's a timeframe? in that case, nevermind my previous statement." - My Colleague

Beans

Exclamation Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

1) Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
    2) Toshiba
    3) Z930 [i5 cpu/6gb ram/128gb ssd]

Operating system runs very fast and responsive. Video/sound/wifi works out-of-the-box. Haven`t try bluetooth yet. Going to try mpeg4 video files in a day or two.About a week in use, two random freezes. Multi-touch gestures zoom in/out are not working (it`s a pity). Fingerprint reader too. Never the less, I have to conclude that Ubuntu team do their job in improving this distribution quite good.

So that`s my experience with this laptop under Ubuntu OS.
    Last edited by spacedrone808; September 7th, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added some information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Quote Originally Posted by spacedrone808 View Post
    1) Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
    2) Toshiba
    3) Z930 [i5 cpu/6gb ram/128gb ssd]

Operating system runs very fast and responsive. Video/sound/wifi works out-of-the-box. Haven`t try bluetooth yet. Going to try mpeg4 video files in a day or two.About a week in use, two random freezes. Multi-touch gestures zoom in/out are not working (it`s a pity). Fingerprint reader too. Never the less, I have to conclude that Ubuntu team do their job in improving this distribution quite good.

So that`s my experience with this laptop under Ubuntu OS.
    Hi spacedrone808. Is it the Toshiba Satellite Z930 or Toshiba Portege Z930?
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Page 123 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast