Page 169 of 184 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1834

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

My HP pavilion dm1 ran ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS with some problems (keymapping issues, lagging, freezing), and is now running Lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS after 2 pretty hairy attempts at installation using first the Ubuntu bootable disk creation utility and then Unetbootin on a mac (which was successful). The first USB failed to install Grub and made the computer unbootable on its own. It's working fairly well now, after a lot of driver configuration, and with some freezing and no magic SysReq key. Long story short, it doesn't work that well on this laptop. Neither did Windows, however.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hey folks! This is my laptop hardware list for you to look over so you know that this model works with Ubuntu.

"Please Only List
    1)Version Of Ubuntu
    2)Laptop Maker
    3)Laptop Model"

1. version of ubuntu: i'm using Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS. Everything works perfectly. I'm very satisfied with this version of Ubuntu Studio since the main menu opens the moment you click on the icon. It didn't use to. Before this edition, it took about a second or two for the main menu to open and that got to me but the programmers and developers made it right this time and I'm very thankful. I haven't been able to use any of the sound recording software yet since I don't have any recording equipment but I'm sure I'll get to that point eventually.

2. Laptop Maker: Dell

3. Laptop Model: Inspiron 5535.

This laptop is using all of the original hardware that it came with all except that I'm using a Logitech M570 trackball mouse with it and that mouse HAS to be unified with its wireless connector on a Microsoft Windows computer.

I plan to replace the current harddrive with a solid state model most likely from crucial. I'll be expanding the RAM out to 16GB as well since it's only got 8GBs and I want as much as this model can address. It's got an AMD A8 quad-core processor running at 1.7 GHz and it's really fast. It'll be even faster once I replace the harddrive. The wifi card is a Broadcom model that supports 802.11 b/g/n and bluetooth 4.0. I want to replace it with a model that supports AC and bluetooth 4.0 if not bluetooth 4.1.

I've also used Linux Mint on this laptop and it also ran perfectly with that flavor of ubuntu. I changed to Ubuntu Studio due to getting a job at a magazine that I now oversee with several other employees and Ubuntu Studio is what all of us use since it comes with all of the software we need to produce the publication.

Beans

1) Mint 17.3
    2) Alienware
    3) r2 17

The laptop crashes, freezes, randomly and the only error in Dmesg appears below

[94028.042155] [drm:skl_set_power_well [i915]] *ERROR* CSR firmware not ready (2)

I have seen references to several patches, however hoping someone else may have solved this issue ?

Beans

PS this from \var\log\kern log

Nov 29 13:32:17 AlienIX kernel: [135925.166608] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 1705 at /build/linux-lts-wily-edDYjE/linux-lts-wily-4.2.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_runtime_pm.c:534 skl_set_power_well+0x6ea/0xa30 [i915]()

Beans

1. Ubuntu 16.04
    2. Dell
    3. Inspiron 7566 - after adding a SAMSUNG EVO 850 SSD (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2342359)

Beans

There's a community-driven database where you can quickly share your model and experience and quickly search for compatible models here: http://thcc.name

Beans

1)Version Of Ubuntu:16.04.1 LTS
    2)Laptop Maker: Asus
    3)Laptop Model: x541u

RE: Cannot install or boot due to out of space errors
    The default kernel logging for some pcie devices generates a lot of events which I believe caused the root partitions to fill up when performing an install or a live boot. Before you can install Ubuntu onto this system you need to use the pcie_aspm=off kernel option to suppress the events.

RE: Microphone not picking up sound
    Edit the /etc/pulse/default.pa to include load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0 before the .ifexists module-udev-detect.so line.
    Also, I had to write a small script in /usr/local/bin that is invoked by a systemd module at boot time to ensure that the audio levels were correct, the script contained the following commands:

Code:
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x1a SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0x5003
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x1a SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0x6003
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x23 SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0x5200
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x23 SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0x6200
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x08 SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0x503f
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x08 SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0x603f
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x08 SET_POWER_STATE 0
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x1a SET_POWER_STATE 0
    Reference: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1596381

I may find some other quirks and will try to add it to this forum.

Beans

Medion Erazer X6601

If you check the "install third party drivers" during installation, all works fine on this laptop, except: the screen brightness hotkeys are not recognized. The brightness can be adjusted with third party apps though. Also, the brightness slider in KDE works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Dell Inspiron 15 3552 (Celeron version)

This laptop came with Ubuntu 14.04, but had Dell proprietary software installed to make it work properly. A few days ago I installed a fresh 16.04 onto this laptop, which seems to be working fine with no need for proprietary stuff. Everything that I can think of checking seems to work OK. The only thing that I had to do was to change my UEFI settings from Dell's legacy mode to full UEFI mode to get the installer to run and install. That was fine for me, as I didn't care about the original installation.

Beans

Ubuntu 16.10
    Maker: HP
    Model: Spectre x360 - 13 - w063nr
    i7-7500U @ 2.70GHz

The x360 is a 2-in-1 laptop and tablet with a touchscreen. Everything works out-of-the-box with ubuntu 16.10. (I tried 16.04 first, but WiFi didn't work - some reported fixing 16.04 with a kernel patch.)

The touch screen works, but the keyboard and touchpad stay active after folding the screen back. My solution has been using the "Onboard" keyboard and dis/enabling the hardware keyboard & touchpad using a modified version of the script found here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/16094...ernal-keyboard Touchscreen gestures work but are somewhat limited as the Linux world is still working that out. (Working on the gestures might be my next project.)

This x360 has one USB 3 and two USB-C connectors. External screens can be connected with a USB-C to VGA/HDMI/etc. adapter. These adapters use “DisplayLink” protocol. A patch can be downloaded, follow these links:

The battery seems to last about 6 to 8 hours of normal use.

Bottom line: I have been very pleased with this x360. Even the "light" scripting to improve usability has been an enjoyable learning experience.

Page 169 of 184 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast