Page 47 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

Quote Originally Posted by kprescod View Post
    Ubuntu 10.04 works almost perfectly fine on my Samsung N145 Plus....however, I've installed Samsung tools and when I try changing the brightness the keyboard freezes.

If there's ANY solution to this problem, please respond to my reply. Thanks in advance
    This link may be useful:
    http://twistedpairdevelopment.wordpr...ssibly-others/

I'm running a Samsung N145P with 2GB of DDR3 (1333 because 1066 wasn't locally available) and Maverick Meerkat 10.10. See my post on the page above, but I did not perform many of the fixes listed there, because I didn't find them to be necessary. I installed 10.10 and then...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:voria/ppa
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install samsung-tools samsung-backlight
    sudo reboot
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (to get some dependencies installed)

Display backlight controls don't work so I use:

sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=FF

where B ranges from 00 (full dark) to FF (full bright)

Plugging my cheap Emprex LCD monitor into the netbook reveals it has problems with EDID. 1440x900 is not available but can be set manually with xrandr. I still need to search for a sticky way to change the res because Ubuntu has moved-on beyond the xorg.conf file and I haven't . Due to EDID problems, switching between the netbook display and the monitor is also problematic. Unplugging and replugging the monitor into the netbook caused an OS crash, requiring powering off with the power switch (all keys and tty's were dead/ no way to restart X or the OS).

I imported an XP VMPlayer image from my old Ubuntu system and it works. Virtualbox works better (more features and faster), but an import from the VMWare image was problematic so I reinstalled a fresh Virtualbox XP image. Virtualbox 4.0.4 under 10.10 is buggy, unless run with sudo (features greyed out and stability issues). Setting the SUID bit on the executable didn't help. ******* is counter to my OS desires, but I have two aps that probably won't run under wine.

All in all, 10.10 on my Samsung netbook yielded the smoothest and easiest Linux OS installation that I've ever experienced, but the EDID and screen backlight problems are the sorts of things that thwart Linux acceptance by the masses. On the other hand, after nearly 20 years of using Linux, I think Linux OSes keep slowly but steadily progressing towards a product that the average computer user might adopt.

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 on Thinkpad X201. Installation was smooth as silk, and after using it for the past month, I'm not sure why I kept the Windows partition. Suspend and hibernate work right out of the box, and fn+Fkey combos work fine as well. I don't have a touchpad on this unit, but the trackpoint worked right out of the box, and I tossed up some details on getting the fingerprint reader working on my blog.

If I can just get my Logitech M705 configured correctly (thumb button doesn't seem to work, I want to map it to the application switcher), I'll be in laptop heaven.

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10
    HP
    ProBook 4520s WT121EA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I put 10.10 on my Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop with an Intel i3 processor - works great with no issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have been running Ubuntu on my Toshiba A205-S5859 for about 3 years. Currently I am running 10.04.

The laptop is all Intel which makes things easy.
    Last edited by stchman; February 25th, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans

1. WUBI installed 10.10 64-bit in Windows 7
    2. Toshiba
    3. Satellite C655D-S5126

System/Administration/Additional Drivers fetched a graphics driver. Found wifi driver help here.

Suspend doesn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Maverick Meerkat 10.10
    Acer
    Aspire 4741G

Works perfect!

Beans

New to Ubuntu I am frankly amazed at how EASY everything is!
    V10.10 installed standalone on my Compaq Presario A900 and everything works except for some weird flashings occasionally from the Wireless light.
    I have just connected up my Epson SX105 that NEVER printed well on Vista and that also works 100%. Even the built in Scanner worked.
    Forget "plug and play"..... Ubuntu is "Plug and Work"!

Beans

Hello all! this is my 1st post in the forums. Everything worked ok! The build-in intel mobile 956 graphic was giving me a hardtime. I can't make it to work with plymouth startup theme. Other than that, it was a very pleasant experience for me.

Product Name: Inspiron 1318make it
    Vendor: Dell Inc.
    BIOS Version: A06
    System ID: 0x0286

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 10.10
    Release: 10.10
    Codename: maverick

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Horrorzilla View Post
    I put 10.10 on my Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop with an Intel i3 processor - works great with no issues.
    I put 10.04 on my 1564 it also works great without any outstanding issues
    other than the touch pad is very sensitive.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Page 47 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast