Page 33 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

Compaq Presario C700 Notebook.

Ubuntu 10.10, works perfect. Simply perfect.
    I'm a newbie... all help appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuahaa View Post
    Compaq Presario C700 Notebook.

Ubuntu 10.10, works perfect. Simply perfect.
    What version did you use to install? The desktop? Netbook? I'm new to this and wanted to try it but don't know which download to use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by camorgan View Post
    What version did you use to install? The desktop? Netbook? I'm new to this and wanted to try it but don't know which download to use.
    I use the desktop version. The netbook version works well for very small screens, or 'netbooks' (12 inches or smaller). I would use the desktop version if I were you. If you have any problems, feel free to PM me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by tuahaa View Post
    I use the desktop version. The netbook version works well for very small screens, or 'netbooks' (12 inches or smaller). I would use the desktop version if I were you. If you have any problems, feel free to PM me.
    +1 I wouldn't go the netbook route unless you actually have a netbook.

1. Compaq
    2. Presario F756NR (F700 series)
    3. Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10

It worked flawlessly until untimely hardware failure (not the fault of Ubuntu)... though I never tested out certain fn key functions like monitor switching or media keys. The fn keys I used most frequently were the sound/brightness settings which worked (of course ).

Also... let me just add that if you are running a very old version of Ubuntu on this laptop (say, around or below 9.x) and you are having issues with the WiFi card, updating to either 10.04 LTS or 10.10 will fix it for you.
    Last edited by racie; December 15th, 2010 at 06:59 AM.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans

Just installed Karmic Koala on an eeePC 901. I was previously running Ibex, using a custom linux kernel for Ubuntu that I obtained from Array.org. It was working fine with Ibex, and I did not know you could run Karmic without a customized kernel. Customized kernels were developed for the ASUS eeePCs so that users could avoid some of the usual problems of running Ubuntu on an eeePC (no wifi, hotkeys etc).

I can tell you that karmic installed fine using a usb stick. All the hot keys work and so does the wifi. I even have compiz pimped out to the max. Works great!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by racie View Post
    +1 I wouldn't go the netbook route unless you actually have a netbook.

1. Compaq
    2. Presario F756NR (F700 series)
    3. Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10

It worked flawlessly until untimely hardware failure (not the fault of Ubuntu)... though I never tested out certain fn key functions like monitor switching or media keys. The fn keys I used most frequently were the sound/brightness settings which worked (of course ).

Also... let me just add that if you are running a very old version of Ubuntu on this laptop (say, around or below 9.x) and you are having issues with the WiFi card, updating to either 10.04 LTS or 10.10 will fix it for you.
    It seems Compaqs are pretty much out-of-the-box machines for Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How did you fix the Mic problem? Did you notice you can't really record video using any program?
    I have an e-machines m-250 ( EXACTLY the same as Acer Aspire One) and I tried 10.10 Netbook, but it was too limited for me so now I'm using 10.10 desktop. MUCH better except I can't record video,and my built-in Mic isn't recognized. Also, I am not able to record videos on You-tube or Facebook or Myspace. You got any tips? Google-chat works fine.
    Last edited by bnjmnwroberts; December 16th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Acer Aspire One D255. Running Ubuntu 10.10, it is the NR version but I choose to run it in Ubuntu desktop, I dont really like the NR setup. Everything works except my SD card reader, which I have read that is being addressed in the next release somewhere. My internal mic did not work but I found a solution here on the forum, It involved installing PulseAudio. It works fine now. I really love Ubuntu and I am loving the netbook. Laptops for me are too bulky and I don't need the optical drive and the extra processing power. I am able to run GIMP, LMMS, and anything else I want to so far. Thank you to all the people who make Ubuntu possible!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by bnjmnwroberts View Post
    How did you fix the Mic problem? Did you notice you can't really record video using any program?
    I have an e-machines m-250 ( EXACTLY the same as Acer Aspire One) and I tried 10.10 Netbook, but it was too limited for me so now I'm using 10.10 desktop. MUCH better except I can't record video,and my built-in Mic isn't recognized. Also, I am not able to record videos on You-tube or Facebook or Myspace. You got any tips? Google-chat works fine.

This is the thread where I got my mic solution http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1629631, I only had to enter this code to make it work: sudo apt-get install pavucontrol I don't know anything about the video recording, mine works fine. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1)Version Of Ubuntu: 10.04 64-bit
    2)Laptop Maker: Acer
    3)Laptop Model: 3810T

Replaced Windows with Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.
    Had the RAM upgraded from 2gb to 4gb, that's why using 64-bit.

Everything works fine, even the scrolling feature in the touchpad!
    No problems so far.

Page 33 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast