1)Version Of Ubuntu: 14.10.02
    2)Laptop Maker:
    Lenovo
    3)Laptop Model:
    Thinkpad Edge 531 (6885-26G)

Working out of the box using UEFI.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

As first time user , I wanna ask whether my laptop is compatible or not for ubuntu 14.04 32 bit
    with : Toshiba L645 Core i3
    Ram 6GB
    It works well with windows 7 ultimate 32bit OS but during installation of ubuntukylin 14.04 32 bit after entering the welcome screen it reboot itself.

Beans

I am running 14.1 on a Samsung QX410 Notebook. Everything works w/o issue.

Beans

HP Stream 11-D010WM with Ubuntu 14.10

- I had to update to the latest BIOS before installation of Ubuntu.
    - I erased the entire hard disk and had Ubuntu auto configure the partitioning.
    - Installed correctly with default BIOS settings.
    - The TRACKPAD works with touch and gestures but does NOT work with "push-to-click"
    - Everything else works. I've been running it for a week.
    - Sleep and SUSPEND work.
    - Boot to desktop time of about 30 secs with no tweaks.
    - BATTERY life about 7 hours on full charge.
    - SOUND works.
    - DISPLAY is fine.
    - KEYBOARD and all function keys working.
    - Runs all my APPLICATIONS sufficiently, examples of tested software: Firefox, Chromium, Midori, geany, PyRoom, xfe, PCManFM, Synaptic, Unity Tweak, LibreOffice,
    - The one APPLICATION that gave me some trouble was AbiWord, but I'm not sure if that was hardware related.

Beans

APPLE MacBook 2010 7.1 White

Ubuntu 14.04

big problems with Nvidia drivers when installed in EFI mode (system boots to blank screen) install in legacy/bios mode and you will be fine.

Note: Hard drive will run in IDE mode not AHCI (reduced read/write speeds and computer runs alittle hot)

Track Pad SUCKS REALLY BAD (SUPER SLOW) research MTRACK alternitive driver and tweak as needed.
    MTRACK

After alot of tweaking my system actaully runs very well GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

and If anyone else has any tips on getting AHCI mode to run I would really apriciate it! PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Denny_Lee View Post
    As first time user , I wanna ask whether my laptop is compatible or not for ubuntu 14.04 32 bit
    with : Toshiba L645 Core i3
    Ram 6GB
    It works well with windows 7 ultimate 32bit OS but during installation of ubuntukylin 14.04 32 bit after entering the welcome screen it reboot itself.
    Try the 64 bit version. With 6GB of RAM the computer likely (as in almost certainly if it came with that much RAM from the factory) has a 64 bit processor. Newer UEFI versions will not work with a 32 bit OS without a complicated work-around. Also, only 3.2GB of your RAM would be usable with a 32bit OS anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Toshiba C50-B-02Y running Vivid (15.04) everything except the wifi function key works.

Beans

Hi Ziktofel,

I also have a Lenovo Z580 laptop. Have you upgraded Linux Mint? Did you encounter the boot-up-time bug? On my laptop, due to a bios bug in the Z580s, it takes 30 minutes to boot up using Ubuntu 13.04. I haven't tried a newer version.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After originally posting in the 'Incompatibility' List, I'm now moving to the 'Compatibility' List.

1) Hardware: 2002 Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop.
    2) O/S: Xubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
    3) Stats: 1 GB RAM, 20 GB HDD, Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz single-core CPU (P4 generation).

Originally, the problem was that upon installation, the display would be jammed into the top left-hand corner of the screen. Tried many fixes, including 'nomodeset' in /etc/default/grub...this at least moved it into the centre of the screen.

Quite by chance I came upon this post by LukeM (#16 on this page):-

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1100%2C+laptop

Changed

Code:
     GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="persistent"
    to

Code:
     GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=792"
    and then ran

Code:
     sudo update-grub
    .....rebooted.....and everything's all right with the world! I'd been searching for a 'fix' for this for nearly a year; hats off to LukeM for this nugget of advice. Xubuntu works PERFECTLY, if a little slowly (more due to the Celeron's tiny L2 cache than anything else). This should be considerably improved by a planned 2.6 GHz P4 upgrade in the next fortnight.

I'm using a TP-Link WN725N 'nano' wireless adapter, as the Dell only has Ethernet as standard. Configured it once; it now auto-connects at every boot with no fuss at all. Excellent!

Battery gives about 3.5 hours on a full charge. The original battery was replaced two years ago with a high-capacity version. Some of you may be horrified at this, but the Dell was fitted with a full-size desktop CPU which pulls nearly 60W; in those days, the current generation of ultra-low power mobile CPUs weren't even on the drawing board, much less a reality. I believe the first of the current type wouldn't appear for another 5-6 years.....

Most impressed!

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; April 22nd, 2015 at 12:39 AM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans

I have a Dell Inspiron i3542 running Ubuntu 14.04. Installed flawlessly and everything seems to work out of the box.

Page 161 of 184 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast