Page 148 of 172 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1716

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Lenovo g505 with amd proc & graph works for 13.10 but needs workarounds because of the buggy/incompatible radeon display drivers. You cannot boot into live or install it without "nomodeset" kernel command in grub (otherwise, black screen is guaranteed). Also be sure to use and set legacy mode instead of EFI. You can change it back to EFI once Ubuntu is installed and running well.

Once in Ubuntu, the first thing you'll want to do is to change the display drivers. Go to AMD site and download the latest drivers package. Use terminal to run it and just follow the installer. Once done, you'll have a fully working fglrx drivers.

Bluetooth works out of the box, so don't change and use "amd microcode" instead, because you'll lose the bluetooth compatibility.

All in all, works great once you get past those Mesa "black screen" radeon display drivers!
    Last edited by the-edge; December 19th, 2013 at 09:36 PM.

Beans

1)Version Of Ubuntu
    Kubuntu 13.10
    2)Laptop Maker
    HP
    3)Laptop Model
    Spectre 13 x2

This is a laptop/tablet hybrid. Had several issues getting it installed, most of which I've documented here and on the forums. Right now, most everything is working properly except the following:

1. Synaptics touchpad - just acts like a regular mouse without nice synaptics features
    2. Accelerometer and light sensor - haven't been able to even detect them
    3. Battery life - its not bad (4-5 hours) but about 1/2 what you get on Windows

Paul

Beans

Hi, just want to share my experience with

Fujitsu Lifebook LH 532, running
    Ubuntu 13.10, 64 bit

now everything seems to work after a long time of googling and the following fixes:

wireless:
    last post of
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/25363...s-card-working
    fixed the dropouts

touchpad:
    install dkms first, then from
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-2102346.html
    mikesmithv's post worked, so you have 2-finger scroll etc!

bluetooth:
    this post worked:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...21/comments/44
    but you have to use the "bluetooth manager" from the Software-Center! i could not manage to make bluetooth survive hibernate/suspend though.

hibernate:
    can be reenabled in the standard way:
    http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Energiesparmodi_mit_ACPI
    and works!
    if wifi doesn't wake up after hibernate, "sudo nmcli nm sleep false" was an easy but hard to find fix that worked, from here:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/36199.../362148#362148

would be glad, if my research will also be helpful to others, if you know more issues/fixes i'd also be thankful!

Beans

This is mine:

1)Version: Ubuntu 13.10 x64
    2)Laptop Maker: HP
    3)Laptop Model: Pavilion 17-e049wm

CPU: AMD A-Series A10-5750M (2.50GHz)
    Memory: 8GB
    HDD: 750GB
    Monitor: 17.3"
    Wireless: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter

Everything works perfectly out-of-the box. No installation problems at all. Couldn't be happier.

Beans

1)Version Of Ubuntu: 12:04 LTS/w CUDA packages
    2)Laptop Maker: Dell "Alienware"
    3)Laptop Model: M18xR2

i7-3720QM Quad Core CPU @ 2.60GHz, 23.5 GiB RAM, GeForce GTX 660M/w 2048 MB GDDR5 VRAM, 384 CUDA Cores, HDD0: 500GB, HDD1: 750GB, HDD2: 1TB, 18.4" LCD, VGA, DP, HDMI In & Out. Most everything worked "out of the box." Took a little playing around to get the correct nVidia packages installed & configured. For some reason Ubuntu initially installed AMD stuff. Biggest pay off getting the CUDA packages installed. The performance increase is phenomenal. Strongly recommend anyone running Ubuntu 12> on a machine with CUDA capable nVidia card(s) make the effort. The following screen capture shows OS X, win 7 & XP running in Virtual Box(s) spread across 3 monitors (Dell E228WFP-Laptop LCD-Dell E228WFP). Note CPU load on Gkrellm between OS X & 7 (21%).

Last edited by sound74145; January 7th, 2014 at 01:51 PM.

Beans

i know its an oldy but i have ubuntu 12.04 running on a toshiba satellite p100. everything works once u upgrade bios to 4.7

Beans
    Hidden!

Dell XPS L521X - works well, except for bluetooth: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp.../L521X#preview

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04 on Toshiba satellite l515
    Installs smoothly. Everything works fine exept function keys and fan speed , also had to keep wifi always on by bios setting as fn combination not working.

Beans

• HP Pavilion X2 11" (2-in-1)
    • Ubuntu 14.10 amd64

I would normally not report on a yet-to-be-released/beta version, but it was the first version I could get to work with this tablet PC. I became so frustrated with all of the ATOM tablets and the whole UEFI deal that a tablet with a 64 bit Pentium processor was a sight for sore eyes!

I imaged the entire hard drive using Clonezilla before I began to do anything. I then had to delete the windows partition in order to install anything (not enough room with Windows installed). I initially tried to install "home" to a micro sd card, but the live OS didn't detect the micro sd card reader.

Multitouch doesn't seem to be supported yet (for the touchscreen nor the touchpad on the detachable keyboard). Screen brightness controls do not work. Speakers, microphone, and front facing camera work. I have yet to find a dedicated program to test the rear facing camera. Power settings is non-existant (I believe this is a function of the current state of 14.04, not the hardware). I'm going to try to install some programs to help with battery consumption, because it's pretty bad. I'm sooooooo glad that I finally have a working Linux tablet, though!

I typed all of this from the X2, so wifi definitely works (and out of the box at that)!

Edit: After running for a few days, the power-saving POTENTIAL (after installing cpu frequency indicator and laptop mode) seems slightly better than in Windows, and bluetooth is broken (forgot to mention that).
    Last edited by andre-d-perkins; January 20th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu 13.04
    Toshiba NB255-240

Page 148 of 172 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast