Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1834

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Cool Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

12.04LTS
    hp pavilion zv6000 (originally Win XP)
    AMD Athlon- 64 bit.
    ATI Radeon Express 200M graphics

Everything functions just fine. Had to find a fix for the wireless device right after install, but found that fix through forum search, a number of you had the same hp problem, so thank you all for the info an easy fix.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Ubuntu 12.10 - 3.5.0-23-generic
    Toshiba
    Tecra A7

Everything works smoothly since install. From Function keys to graphics, from wireless to bluetooth, never had a singular problem.

The only thing I can't vouch for is TV-OUT, since I've never use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D 8820

Using Lubuntu 12.04:

After upgrading to 1,5 GB memory everything works well - surprisingly well when one considers that the computer is from 2002. Resolution is 1400 * 1050.

Flashblock or similar helps a lot on the browsing speed.

The 2,4 GHz Pentium 4 processor needs efficient cooling. This guide shows how to clean it from dust (don't remove the entire cooling unit, just open its top cover). The processor does not have SpeedStep, so it runs full speed, which in turn makes the fan run most of the time.

The fan does a good job in keeping the temperature in the range of 40 - 50 ° C, but expect some noise.

Many forum posts warn about problems after upgrading the BIOS, so it's probably better to leave it where it is.

It's likely to work for 12.10 also, but I didn't have a CD around for testing.
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 6th, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I am also using Dell Inspiron 1564 and didn't face any installation problem. I really liked its ease of compatibility with different - different platforms. Ubuntu is running fantastic on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Wink Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

I have an HP Pavillion dm4-3055dx i5 quad 8GB RAM Intel HD 4000 grfx with broadcom somthing or other wireless. Running 12.04.1 out of the box wireless and video works great.

Beans

Ubuntu: 12.04
    Computer: Gateway NV57H

Just had to do a couple tweaks for keyboard to be able to change screen brightness and of course, install bumblebee

Otherwise works fantastic.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

1)Version Of Ubuntu: 12.10
    2)Laptop Maker: Lenovo
    3)Laptop Model: G550
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

ASUS X53U (sx278V)

Everything works from a clean install of 12.04 LTS.
    Wireless works from the live disc so simplifies install.
    I'm now using Gnome shell.
    Beta additional AMD graphics driver to use Steam.
    Keyboard shortcuts for brightness, volume and mute all immediately recognised after install.
    1366x768 screen resolution. Very crisp display.
    SD card reader works immediately as do all USB sockets.
    Having accepted the updates and extras during install, everything, including DVD, is ready to go.

(Off Topic Alert
    Thanks to the shenanigans from Adobe with their Flash player in Chrome my wife has finally
    allowed me to install 12.04 LTS (with Gnome shell) on her Sony. She loves it, very pleased.)
    I'll add the Vaio to the list now.

Beans

Sony VAIO VGN NW20EF

Everything works from a clean install of 12.04 LTS including wireless and keyboard shortcuts.
    Wireless works from the live disc thus simplifying instal with updates and extras.
    No additional drivers are offered (intel graphics) .. all seems well.

This is my wifes laptop. She has been 'happy' with W7 until Adobe Flash gave her grief with a non responsive popup.
    I've initially left her to try Unity but after observing Gnome desktop on mine she finds she's happier with that, so she now also has Gnome shell installed.
    I'm impressed how quickly she's taken to it.
    I had to promise her she would be able to access W7 ... she has never booted into Windows7 in the two weeks since she got Ubuntu.
    She often says as she shuts her laptop down "I like my Ubuntu"...I only ever heard her say I like my pink Vaio before (two years ago when it was new).
    She's impressed with how clean and functional Ubuntu is (particularly likes the Gnome hot corner for switching between apps... me too)
    My wife has always been competent but now she's getting positively 'geeky'. She's been a pensioner for a few years.

Beans

1) Version of Ubuntu: 12.10

2) Laptop Manufacturer: Compaq

3) Laptop Model: Presario C500

At first, all I really did was install the firmware-b43-installer and b43-fwcutter packages for the BCM4311 wireless driver... (I think that's the model, I can't exactly remember!)

After that, I had no problems at all!

Page 135 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast