OS - 12.04.1 LTS
    Laptop - Toshiba Qosmio x505 q890

Specs

Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz)
    6GB Memory 500GB HDD + 64GB SSD HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
    BD Combo

Review

Well, it's been a while since, I have played with Ubuntu, so I felt it was time. I couldn't get it to run with the standard Desktop Version, so I downloaded the ubuntu-12.04.1-alternate-amd64.iso.torrent. Initially, I couldn't when I booted I kept getting a blank screen on the first option, so I had to use the second option. (It's kind of like windows safe mode). I was able to get that to get it to work that way to begin with.

I then chose to do manually partition my drive. Being that I had the 64gig SD and the 500 SATA, this is how I broke it down for me;

64gig SD

53 gig - / was on /dev/sda1 during installation <53 gigs
    11 gig - (HDDRECOVERY, Toshibas Windows 7)

500 gig

480 gig - /home was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    16 gig - /var was on /dev/sdb3 during installation
    4 gig - swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation

I moved the /var off of the SD drive, because I read that it's always changing, and since I wasn't sure I just moved it off the SD drive to avoid a bunch of thrashing if that was the case, if not, it's not a big deal. Please tell me if it is. I moved the swap file because I read it's a good idea to move it. Kind of like the windows pagefile, I suppose.

Once I was able to get into Ubuntu, it picked up my network via wifi straight away. (I was so suprised and happy, I remember when you needed a wrapper to get wifi working, goes to show you how long I've been away)
    After that I installed the NVidia drivers, I was able set my resolution to 1920x1080. Did an update, and everything was great!!

For some reason no matter what I did it kept saying that Windows Vista was on my system, not sure why. I did a clean format, not sure if it was picking up the HDDRecovery partition. It was frustrating, but I just setup grub the way I wanted via grub customizer, and was able to bypass it altogether.

I also, installed cheese, and my webcam is working no problem.

I didn't mean for this to be so lengthy, but I do hope it helps out anyone with the same laptop. I know I couldn't find anything about mine. I found other models but not this specific one.

-Semper Fi
    gyrene2083
    -Semper Fidelis
    gyrene2083
    Linux Level - n00b ubuntu - 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Version - Ubuntu 12.04
    Maker - Asus
    Model - K53SD-SX128D

Installs smoothly.Need to upgrade kernel to 3.5 to get nvidia to work.
    Need to install scripts to make hibernation work properly.
    All else works fine out of the box.
    Even if the 'morrow is barren of promises; nothing shall forestall my return

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Version - Ubuntu 12.04
    Maker - MSI
    Model - X460DX

Almost all of the function keys work out of the box, excluding the "ecobattery" functoin key, which I didn'teven use in Windows.

Due to the Nvidia Optimus graphics, installed Bumblebee and getting roughly 4 hours of battery life due to mostly only using the integrated graphics. Overall pleased.

Beans

Version - Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit
    Maker - HP
    Model - Pavillion dv6-6140us

Works good. Details are at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12231010
    Last edited by SmallWorld; September 11th, 2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: I had one http:// too many.

Beans

Ubuntu version: 12.04
    Laptop: Dell Insperon 17R N7110 with Intel HD 3000 graphics (can get with dedicated geforce graphics also)

performance: so far so good. insalled as clean install and no drivers were needed for basic stuff. connected right to wireless for updates and was good to use in about 2 hours from start to finish.

im having some issues with POL and Wine but i dont think thats my laptop its more of a POL and Wine issue.

also my screen stays blank after being on suspend for an extended period of time (so far when i wake up in AM) and have to reboot PC.

one other issue is the bluetooth icon at top will turn off both bluetooth and wireless and i have to use the Fn keyboard switch to turn back on.

these i consider to be pretty minor issues, as far as running and using applications that are designed for ubuntu then i have had no issues.

hope this helps
    Russ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

1)Version Of Ubuntu: Precise 12.04
    2)Laptop Maker: Sony
    3)Laptop Model: Vaio T Series (SVT13116FXS)

Need to remove RAID prior to installation, see http://goo.gl/IyIGE
    Scroll lock is not working.
    Touchpad needs tweaking, see http://goo.gl/88Z3x.
    Touchpad "buttons" practically unusable.
    Display dimmer (Fn+F5/F6) works but doesn't really do anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Smile Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Hello all. This is my first post here. I have lurked quite a bit before I decided to create an account here.

Now back to the topic at hand.

I am running ubuntu 12.04 64
    My laptop is Asus X53U.

I have not had any troubles, all worked at first boot. I have had ubuntu for about 4 or 5 months. I love ubuntu, and I am really looking forward to the release of 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Asus K53E works great with 12.04. Small tweaking with the HDMI sound but nothing to run away from.

Beans

1) Any Ubuntu version, any Debian version at this date.
    2) Acer
    3) Aspire 5755G

Acerhdf driver used for fan control can only in principle (if it even supported this model, which it doesn't) shut down the fan, or delegate the fan control to BIOS. Controlling the fan speed is not possible.

Specifically setting the fan to full power for efficient cooling is not possible.

When the BIOS boots, the fan is on full power, but after GRUB, when Linux starts, fan is put on lower, constant speed, even if the machine runs very hot.

On this laptop, the OS/BIOS starts compensating this inadequate fan speed by throttling down the CPUs. Your 4 core 2.4 GHz processor will soon run in 800 MHz speeds, and the computer is mostly unusable.

If I remember correctly, giving the kernel a boot option acpi=off enables decent fan speeds. However, this also disables many other things from hyperthreading to HDMI detection. acpi=ht doesn't help, although it enables hyperthreading, it also sets the fan to a constant speed.

Everything else works.

Beans

Toshiba Satellite L745-S4310

Specs: Intel® Core™ i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz × 4
    Intel® Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
    4 GB DDR3 Ram

Runs Beautiful, few apport reports every once in awhile.

Page 124 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast