Thread: No sound on HP Pavilion a1600n-HELP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation No sound on HP Pavilion a1600n-HELP

I am new to Ubuntu and am currently running 16.10. I cannot get my sound to work no matter what I attempt.

I am running ubuntu from an older computer and the specs can be viewed from http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00749157

when i run command in terminal: alsamixer, it says the sound card is HDA ATI HDMI, but doesnt allow me to mute or unmute or adjust any sound settings.

I apologize if this isnt much to go by, i may be able to answer more questions just not sure what info i need to provide.

Thank in Advance

Beans

Re: No sound on HP Pavilion a1600n-HELP

What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I obtained a neat little device to use temporarily, its a usb sound card thing, never seen one before but it has my sound working, just would like to get the sound working without using the device, as i will need to return it fairly soon
    Last edited by mitch.gray; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:07 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have you tried adjusting the Alsamixer sound volume this might be of help https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/Alsamixer

I would also try to see if your sound device is listed and checked for usage is the sound settings

Beans

The onboard audio (Realtek ALC888 chip according to specs) isn't even showing up in lspci. If you're lucky, it got disabled in the BIOS and all you have to do is enable it there.
    If you look in the BIOS and find it's enabled, then I would try disabling it, booting, rebooting back into BIOS, and enabling it again.
    If you're really unlucky, the onboard audio has some sort of hardware fault and it's time to look for a replacement.
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    The onboard audio (Realtek ALC888 chip according to specs) isn't even showing up in lspci. If you're lucky, it got disabled in the BIOS and all you have to do is enable it there.
    If you look in the BIOS and find it's enabled, then I would try disabling it, booting, rebooting back into BIOS, and enabling it again.
    If you're really unlucky, the onboard audio has some sort of hardware fault and it's time to look for a replacement.
    it was set on auto, and enabling it solved my issue! thank you!