It appears that ODT filetypes are not correctly associated in Firefox on several of my Ubuntu installations. I can confirm this with 9.10 and 10.04.

When I click on a link in Firefox that points to an OpenOffice document, I only have the option of saving the file. I would prefer to just have it open using Writer.

The odd thing is that when I click on DOC files, then OpenOffice will launch and open them just fine. I don't need to save them first. I can select "Open With" from the Firefox download dialog.

I've explored the Preferences - Applications dialog, and it does not show any ODT filetypes. I don't know how to add a new one, as there does not seem to be an option.

Outside of Firefox, the associations are working fine. I click on an ODT file in Nautilus and Writer launches.

Admittedly, ODT files are a rare download on the web, but we are starting to use them more on our office's internal systems.

I've spent a couple of hours searching for solutions, but have not found any. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.