Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by frifrafry View Post
    Though it does say 4.5.2 against your output of 4.5.3 - but it's up and running so it really doesn't matter to much anyway
    Good to hear you are up and running . The 4.5.3 is simply the compiler version:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ gcc --version | head -n 1
    gcc (GCC) 4.5.3
    so means not all that much...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

In a very interesting event I see that in my other distro (Slackware) SMPlayer has been replaced with UMPlayer in the semi-official home of extra build scripts:

Code:
    multimedia/smplayer: Removed (replaced by umplayer)
    multimedia/umplayer: Added (Universal Media Player)
    I may very well do the same when Oneiric comes out, unless SMPlayer development fires up again...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; July 22nd, 2011 at 06:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Here's a patch against the latest SVN that adds a crude popup menu when the directory 'VIDEO_TS' directory is found. It gives you an option to ignore and continue to browse, to open with dvd:// or with dvdnav://.

It compiles and builds just fine on Lucid and Natty, but Natty gives a invalid pointer when shutting down. Just curious if anyone else can check and see if this is causing the same issue with your install.

Forum is here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11200257
    patch is here:
    mplayer.r34027.gui.dvdnav.patch.txt

Beans

VDPAU now works! Here is how:

Thank you andrew.46 for the step-by-step instructions on compiling SVN Mplayer! I would not have been able to do this without you!

The other credit goes to the author of http://blog.avirtualhome.com/2009/05...ort-on-ubuntu/ where I found the way to compiling with VDPAU.

1. You need to download and install the correct NVIDIA LInux driver located at http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

2. You need to download the two NVIDIA Include files from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vdpau/include/vdpau/ and save them to //usr/include/vdpau/

3. On the first post of this thread, in the instructions, in either the Compiling or Updating section, insert to the "./configure" command "--enable-vdpau" without the parenthesis of course.

The rest you just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread. It worked for me!
    Last edited by Andras888; September 3rd, 2011 at 06:12 PM.

Beans

Glad the guide has worked for you . A problem with this guide has always been the fact that I do not have a suitable card to test vdpau so I am always guessing a little. Just be aware though that normally you would not add any --enable-xxxx options to the ./configure string, although clearly this was worked for you!

All the best,

Andrew

Beans

Hi Andrew,

GeForce cards are relatively inexpensive, but even without a card, one could type "mplayer -vo help" to see if vdpau is listed as an available option. I am sure there are more elegant ways to achieve what I did, including not adding any --enable-xxxx options to the ./configure string, and adding the information someplace else. I know very little about Linux and compiling, so I came to this arguably unrefined solution using only my logic and common sense.

Best wishes and wholehearted thanks for your ongoing project,

Andras

Beans

hi. i installed ffmpeg and x264 following fakeoutdoorsman's guide here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

i then installed mplayer using this guide. on the "compiling mplayer" step, i get this message midway through:

Checked out revision 34098.
    No FFmpeg checkout, press enter to download one with git or CTRL+C to abort

what was i supposed to do? i did hit enter and i'm not sure what happened. did it install another ffmpeg?

i'm not really sure if it's right but after that finished, i tried updating ffmpeg and x264 again according to fakeoutdoorsman's guide. however, i think there's a problem because his guide wants me to install libjack-jackd2-0 & libjack-jackd2-dev and remove jackd1, jackd1-firewire, libjack-dev, & libjack0. but this guide wants to install libjack-dev & libjack0 while removing libjack-jackd2-0 & libjack-jackd2-dev! what do i do? i'm running 10.10. plz help. very confused.

EDIT: also, reading through this thread, i noticed someone saying they skipped the codec step because they had w32codecs installed. i think i have it installed from medibuntu. should i keep it and skip the codec step? or should i remove it and do the codec step?
    Last edited by bananagins; September 10th, 2011 at 08:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bananagins View Post
    hi. i installed ffmpeg and x264 following fakeoutdoorsman's guide here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095
    An excellent guide .

i then installed mplayer using this guide. on the "compiling mplayer" step, i get this message midway through:
    Code:
    Checked out revision 34098.
    No FFmpeg checkout, press enter to download one with git or CTRL+C to abort
    what was i supposed to do? i did hit enter and i'm not sure what happened. did it install another ffmpeg?
    That is the expected behavior. MPlayer be default uses the most recent FFmpeg from within its own source tree rather than an external FFmpeg. You will see the FFmpeg source as a folder within the MPlayer source. This does not interfere with any other copies of FFmpeg on your system.

i'm not really sure if it's right but after that finished, i tried updating ffmpeg and x264 again according to fakeoutdoorsman's guide. however, i think there's a problem because his guide wants me to install libjack-jackd2-0 & libjack-jackd2-dev and remove jackd1, jackd1-firewire, libjack-dev, & libjack0. but this guide wants to install libjack-dev & libjack0 while removing libjack-jackd2-0 & libjack-jackd2-dev! what do i do? i'm running 10.10. plz help. very confused.
    Seems a little odd but I would suggest following FakeOutdoorsman's guide and then re-compiling MPlayer as suggested in my own guide.

EDIT: also, reading through this thread, i noticed someone saying they skipped the codec step because they had w32codecs installed. i think i have it installed from medibuntu. should i keep it and skip the codec step? or should i remove it and do the codec step?
    If you have the w32codecs installed from Medibuntu you can omit the codecs step but if you do this you would be best to also omit --codecsdir=/usr/local/lib/codecs from the MPLayer ./configure string.

I hope this post resolves these issues for you, I will be out of town and without computer access for a week as of today so my next response will be a little tardy....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Seems a little odd but I would suggest following FakeOutdoorsman's guide and then re-compiling MPlayer as suggested in my own guide.
    thank you for the reply. i hope i catch you before you leave...

but do you know what the deal is with libjack0, libjack-dev and libjack-jackd2-dev? the ffmpeg guide installs libjack-jackd2-dev but in the process removes libjack0 and libjack-dev. your guide does the opposite. it installs libjack0 and libjack-dev and removes libjack-jackd2-dev. so i guess i'm just confused... which do i need?

right now, the last thing i ran was the ffmpeg guide so, i currently have libjack-jackd2-dev and NOT libjack0 and NOT libjack-dev.

could this cause problems with mplayer? also in the output, it says there are a number of other packages dependent on each library. here's a sample part of the output. there ae many more like these during the output of the second step under "preparation" in your guide:

dpkg: libjack-jackd2-0: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
    qjackctl depends on libjack-jackd2-0 (>= 1.9.5~dfsg-14) | libjack-0.116; however:
    Package libjack-jackd2-0 is to be removed.
    Package libjack-0.116 is not installed.
    Package libjack-jackd2-0 which provides libjack-0.116 is to be removed.
    Package libjack0 which provides libjack-0.116 is not installed.
    audacity depends on libjack-jackd2-0 (>= 1.9.5~dfsg-14) | libjack-0.116; however:
    Package libjack-jackd2-0 is to be removed.
    Package libjack-0.116 is not installed.
    Package libjack-jackd2-0 which provides libjack-0.116 is to be removed.
    Package libjack0 which provides libjack-0.116 is not installed.
    and so forth, there are like 20-30 of these after audacity.

libjack-jackd2-0 is the one i'm worried about as it was just installed in the ffmpeg guide but it seems to be removed immediately in this guide.

i would like to point out that both programs seem to be working fine. (ran a few test encodes and played some movies) it's just that i wonder if this could cause issues as obviously, i have not tested every single capability/possibility. that and i'm severely OCD.

thanks again.

Beans

You can omit libjack-jackd2-dev from the FFmpeg compile guide if you don't intend on using JACK with ffmpeg. I think libjack-dev will work too if you do want to use JACK with ffmpeg.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; September 11th, 2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo. libjack-dev, not jack-dev.

Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast